Author Topic: Hickory lever bow  (Read 1987 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hickory lever bow
« on: March 14, 2020, 06:29:10 am »
Here's a bow I'm not sure I've shown before.Made some time ago [I think 7 years ago and did'nt show any bows back then much] as I've shot it a bunch in the past.A symmetrical 62" TTT bow pulling 58#'s @ 28".A dyed rattan wrap handle with black horn overlays on tips.Close to center shot string alignment from wiggles in limbs.Leather dyed charcoal on back and light brown on the belly.
The one thing that stands out for me about this bow is that it only mass weighs bare bones 16.00 ounces as a self bow and still has a fairly good profile to it.I don't think I gave it all that much reflex back then when making it.To me a tribute to the toughness of hickory and that the heat gun did it's job.If I remember right I think I tillered the bow out to 20" getting a good estimate on my 28" draw weight.Then heat treating it.It gained about 6 to 8 pounds after that.I then side tillered it back down to my draw weight while keeping all my heat treatment on the belly.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:05:01 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline M2A

Re: Hickory lever bow
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 07:57:16 am »
Real nice Now Ed. I enjoy seeing your work on here. Must be a rocket launcher with a mass like that.
Mike

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 08:11:32 am »
Thanks M2A.It shoots pretty decent.I'm finally getting back into a little bow making again.
No more lacquer finishes put on these homogenous bows for me.It's either a good quality spar varnish or tongue oil.I might try birch bark oil sometime on these whitewoods as that will stain a petina to it and water proof it all in the same time.
BowEd
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 08:19:08 am »
I sure love the look of these lever bows.  Might have to build one some day.  Thanks for sharing, Ed!  That's a beauty.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 08:27:41 am »
Thats a mighty fine looking bow Ed
Armstrong, BC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 08:50:22 am »
Love the profile of that one, Ed. Great job.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 09:01:02 am »
Thanks fellas.I just strung it up yesterday.Still in tiller good.Don't have a deer shot with it yet though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 09:19:57 am »
Dang that think looks like a beauty band fast.  I really like the lever bows since Half Eye started cranking them out way back.  They are really my favorites

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 09:44:57 am »
I like that one! Nice work

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 10:36:57 am »
Very nice! You got those levers thinned right out! Great example for sure.love the muscles on the back of that hickory!nice work.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 10:50:49 am »
Great looking bow Ed. Hope you get the opportunity to fix that no deer with it thing

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 10:54:30 am »
I like it Ed. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 10:58:08 am »
Nicun Ed. How long your levers?

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 11:37:30 am »
Thanks fellas......It's a 60% working limb/40% lever ratio on this one.11" lever with a 2" graduated thickening fade into lever and 16" parallel width working limbs measured from the handle  fade.I've seen some well made 50%/50% ones made on here too.Got 3 new inches of snow today so outside work is at a stand still.Been on the computer a bit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:41:22 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 11:40:02 am »
Very nice one Ed ,you can tell by the unstrung profile and the slightly shimmed out leavers it has to be a smooth shooter , 16 oz is pretty remarkable nice job !
If you fear failure you will never Try !