Author Topic: Potentially dumb question about seasoning  (Read 1712 times)

Offline dratera

Potentially dumb question about seasoning
« on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:00 pm »
I never season my staves, I just rough out and quick dry, so im wondering, will the wood continue seasoning after the bow is finished? Or will the finish blocking oxygen stop the process

Offline DC

Re: Potentially dumb question about seasoning
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:57:58 pm »
In my opinion it will continue to season. I've gone back to bows I made 2-3 years ago that were just hanging on the wall and almost all of them have gained draw weight. The bad thing is that once the bow takes some set the damage is done and it doesn't matter if it cures more after that.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 02:01:41 pm »
It'll continue to a point and quit.You'll notice it on the increase in draw weight.The handle will be the last to completely dry.The finish will slow it down but never completely stop it.
Years ago when I did'nt have a build up of staves I made bows that way too.Seeing an increase in draw weight after tillering in just a week.Fastest quick bow I ever did was 6 weeks from stump to a shooter.That was osage though.It'll dry slower because of it's density.
Nowadays after  being a bow for years they fluctuate just a little like a pound or two from summer to winter.No big deal.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dratera

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 02:18:17 pm »
Yeah my intuition says that when/if it takes set, post-seasoning will not improve it, though increase in draw weight sounds plausible. I was shooting some of my old bows recently and blamed the struggle on being out of shape. Those bows were made in the same timeframe, 1-2 months, but dont have the equipment to measure draw weight here right now   

The Zen Master

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:00 pm »
In my opinion it will continue to season. I've gone back to bows I made 2-3 years ago that were just hanging on the wall and almost all of them have gained draw weight. The bad thing is that once the bow takes some set the damage is done and it doesn't matter if it cures more after that.

DC,

What, exactly, is set (like you were describing it to your grandmother :D )?

When is a bow likely to take set while hanging on a wall?

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 09:01:47 pm »
I believe that DC was making two different points and not implying that set can happen from hanging on the wall.  That being said, wood can take a permanent bend from gravity over a long period of time. creep is a more approximate term for that and it is seen sometimes in museum bows (hard to tell exactly) or sagging floors and rafters in old houses.

I do believe that drying is the moisture loss from the cellulose component of wood, while lignins tend to harden much slower. This hardening could be what some call seasoning.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 09:16:34 pm »
I think it will continue seasoning

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 04:58:00 am »
Yes to the first question and no to the second :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:08 am »

set is when an unstrung bow is unable to return to his original shape because of overstressed sections of wood usually resulting in compressed wood cells (crysalis) on the belly area
it's a consequence of bad tillering and/or asking too much from your bow
it may also happen to a bow left strung for too long

The Zen Master

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 12:11:12 pm »

set is when an unstrung bow is unable to return to his original shape because of overstressed sections of wood usually resulting in compressed wood cells (crysalis) on the belly area

Now THAT is a concise answer!

Thank you!

What is string follow?

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 12:32:51 pm »

DC,

When is a bow likely to take set while hanging on a wall?

My take on set is that it is any bend the bow keeps after being drawn and released. It can be temporary or permanent. A bow can take set without chrysals. A perfectly tillered bow can take set if you pull it a little to far for the design. Caused by the compression of the belly. If you cut a bow with set lengthwise along the neutral plane, separating the back and belly, the belly will stay bent but the back will return to it's normal position.

No a bow won't take set on a wall.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:38:01 pm by DC »

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 03:10:48 pm »
I believe that DC was making two different points and not implying that set can happen from hanging on the wall.  That being said, wood can take a permanent bend from gravity over a long period of time. creep is a more approximate term for that and it is seen sometimes in museum bows (hard to tell exactly) or sagging floors and rafters in old houses.

I do believe that drying is the moisture loss from the cellulose component of wood, while lignins tend to harden much slower. This hardening could be what some call seasoning.
do that also mean It is best to store your bow resting on the belly side of the limbs or on the back of your handle?

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 03:51:59 pm »
I hang them on a wall upright.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 09:44:13 pm »

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 01:08:20 am »

Now THAT is a concise answer!

Thank you!

What is string follow?