Author Topic: family history  (Read 3617 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: family history
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2020, 06:03:10 am »
Far as I'm concerned nothing has more affect on WHO you are more so as a human being than your direct parents,gaurdians,aunts and uncles, or grand parents.Knowing right from wrong.Knowing the right thing to do etc. etc.
It's good to know your heritage but it does'nt make WHO you are as a human being at the present moment.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:09:29 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 11:20:29 am »
Well said!  I agree wholeheartedly!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 11:29:39 am »
I know, i was talking pretty recently, like i can see how its affected my family.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »
I've been debating about posting in this thread, but you guys covered the issue I have, so here goes.

I'm by genetics 62.5% Native (haplogroup B subtype) and the rest is Scottish.  I don't know everything about my family, as my mother is dead and I was disowned by her family for being a halfbreed (never mind they weren't pure white.)  My entire family tree is hidden racism and hate.  My father is 75% Seminole.  His father and on back are 100%.  My paternal grandmother is 50% Mvskoke and she hates anything that isn't white.  Pop and Gramps marched in Selma.  I ended up a halfbreed (their words not mine) and part of the family can't stand me cause I don't act "white."  I remember the faces of my fathers and mothers.  I won't forget where I came from, or the struggle they've had to get their rights.  My brother, who shares the same genetic mix as me but doesn't have my genetic condition looks the opposite of me-we barely look related. 

My mother was insane.  There is no other term for it.  Her behavior got her rights terminated and my paternal grandparents adopted us.  I was much closer to the source of Native learning that way, and I am very thankful for it.  I know very little about my mother's family, other than the fact that she was a model.  I only know that from pictures my grandmother saved.  As I understand it, they came from money and were embarrassed by their daughter marrying and having kids with someone not white.

Interestingly, I can trace my Native side back to mine slaves in South Alabama.  As they were slaves, when they were freed there was an agreement made-if you were a slave you can't be counted as a Native American.  No matter what your genetic makeup.  I could be counted as black, though.  It's made getting my Native ID and Native Artist number impossible.  I'm now just one town over form the Poarch Creek, and they recognize my claim without being able to extend membership.  It's a painful place to be.  I know my clan, know my lineage, know my history and even speak a little of the language, but federal law prohibits me from being an official Native.  Federal law prohibits a lot for Natives, if you dig into it.

I'm not trying to be political, cause I didn't name parties-they all did it.  But it always comes up when I talk about my geneaology. There's no way to talk about who I am and who my people are without mentioning the way the laws shaped my family. 

If you have questions, I'll answer them as I can.  I can get links to laws and such if you guys want them. 

I know these things are distasteful to talk about.  However, for me it's a reality.  I'm confronted with it every time I talk to my family.