Author Topic: The latest gizmo design  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

The latest gizmo design
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:17:35 am »
Gun builders have given me a bunch of fancy wood cut offs to make gizmos out of for the Trad Gang St Jude auction. THE AUCTION WILL OPEN FOR BIDDING FRIDAY MAY 22ND AROUND 6 PM EASTERN. In the past when my scraps were smaller than the necessary 1" X 1" to make a gizmo I threw them in the burn pile. Lately I've been making laminated gizmos with contrasting wood to utilize these scraps. I really like the new design and almost no wood goes to the burn pile now.

Here is one I made a couple of days ago, I drilled the hole slightly off center so it will be a freebie when I find a worthy recipient. The off center hole won't affect the use at all  and is purely cosmetic. If someone bids on one of my gizmos at auction I can't send one out with a flaw in it.

I freehand these after rough cutting them out on a bandsaw so none of them are cookie cutter perfect. I have given away or auctioned off for charity almost 300 of them.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:41:41 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: The latest gizmo design
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:21:39 am »
Here is one that is on the St Jude auction, exhibition grade walnut with a contrasting stripe of lighter walnut. I have found if I sign them they bring more money for the kids.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 08:58:31 am »
Very nice work and kudos for supporting the charity.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:31:10 am »
The laminated ones wouldn't warp. Guy doesn't want a warped gizmo ;D ;D ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:05:14 am »
So eric... Whens the next bidding!!!! seriously! i am really to get one of yours! and i think its great that the money goes to a charity!.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:10 pm »
Good looking gizmos Eric.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 06:43:24 am »
Very nice Eric. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:37:34 am »
The Trad Gang bidding starts May 22nd.

Last year they didn't have an auction so I did my own fundraiser, for a $20 donation to St Jude I would send the donator a gizmo shipped free. I think I only had one taker here but had 30 or so on Facebook and bunch of other places. I was still getting donations when I burned out out on making gizmos and pulled the plug, it gets tedious after a while, especially high end figured ones that have to be about perfect before I send them out. I ended up with a cull pile of fully functional gizmos that had a cosmetic flaw, I have given all of these away to folk I see on line really struggling with their first bows tiller.

I raised $720 and may do it again in the future.