Author Topic: Block plane tear out  (Read 2338 times)

Online Hamish

Re: Block plane tear out
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »
There are plenty of good youtube videos that cover block planes(as you have probably found out).
One tool I can highly recommend, for board bows is the Mujingfang Handle-less mini polishing plane plane.(make sure its that model as they have many similar looking planes but they aren't the one you should get.)
 Its a little bigger than a matchbox, looks like it would be a good ornament to hang a key chain from(plane is under 3" long actually). It made of ebony or rosewood, no metal besides the blade. Its quite simple to set and adjust with a little practice. Blade width only 7/8.(though you can buy a slightly bigger model)

Blade is HSS, which means it will keep going for many, many more times than a regular tool steel blade, before it needs sharpening(when you do sharpen it takes some time because it is so tough).

The beauty of this tool is that its bed is 60deg high angle plane with bevel down. Or you can flip the blade bevel up and it becomes a 90 deg scraper plane for really ornery wood.
This plane is my bowmakers secret weapon, and it also gets used on virtually every other woodworking project. It can get in virtually anywhere, and handle the most difficult woods.

Because the plane is so small you can use it to tiller a strung bow.

The best thing about it is the price, you should be able to get one for about $15-20. The biggest problem is trying to find someone that sells them. I think its because they are so tiny no one takes them seriously as a useful tool. Ebay used to have tons of them. But because they are made in China, there aren't any on offer at  the  moment due to the CHY- NA virus.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Block plane tear out
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 10:21:14 am »
It has been my experience that all card scrapers are created pretty much equal. I have expensive ones and cheap ones, properly sharpened they all cut the same, watch the sharpening videos on youtube.

Rolling a hook on scissors is super easy, once you turn the scissors into a scraper they will no longer be of any use for cutting as you will ruin the normal cutting surface.

Here is an accusharp scissors sharpener, all you do to make a hook is first flatten the back on a stone then is drag the sharpener down the blade bevel at a steeper angle than the factory bevel. Drag a couple times and check for a hook, continue until you have a defined hook. The scissors aren't hardened steel so your hook will dull quicker than a card scraper, in less than a minute you can redo it.