Author Topic: Started a new bow - static tipped bamboo backed ipe  (Read 2434 times)

bownarra

Re: Thoughts on R/D BBI tiller...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 02:57:11 am »
Too much reflex and you will end with more set.
The more set the slower the 'rebound' speed of the wood.
The r/d design allows the use of well reflexed outer limbs. The deflexed section lowering overall strain and allowing a lower string angle at full draw. This lower string angle means you are bending a thicker piece of wood and thus storing more energy. The design when executed well speaks for itself. Very low handshock, stable and fast. :) What's not to like other than being a wee bit tricky to tiller haha
I think you have done a good job on this one. The trick when figuring out a 'new tiller' is to pay a lot of attention to exactly where the set shows up during tillering. You should always follow the bowyers bible 'mantra' of no set inner limb, a little mid limb and the rest out to the tips. The wood will always tell you how it should be tillered, it hard to hear sometimes though!
As for multiple lams - yes that is definitely the way to go to achieve 'accurate to your form' glue-ups. Bending too thick ipe belly lams leads to many problems. One is the different profile in your limbs. For a r/d bow I would always go with a tri lam.

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 02:59:15 am »
Here is a pretty extreme version of a r/d. Just for fun :)

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 03:53:40 am »
Thanks for all that info. That’s certainly some extreme R/D ... does it feel very different to shoot?

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 04:03:41 am »

Ok - starting a new bamboo backed ipe. Might as well make the most of the sunshine and lock down!

I’ve decided to kerf some wedges and do some static recurve tips. But only for 5 inches. Bow is 72 overall and I have pre-tillered it to brace height at about 25 lbs and a bit whip tillered.

Gonna glue on the bamboo back today.

Thinking of shapes to go with.

Can’t decide between straight reflex or a mild deflex with quite a bit of reflex ... as in image. Aiming for 55 at 31” for a friend.  Figure if this goes tits up I can shorten it and aim for 27 inches which is my draw. 

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:17:31 am by Tommy D »

Offline Tommy D

Re: Started a new bow - static tipped bamboo backed ipe
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 08:02:16 am »

On the tillering tree now ...