Author Topic: Started a new bow - static tipped bamboo backed ipe  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Tommy D

Started a new bow - static tipped bamboo backed ipe
« on: April 14, 2020, 01:20:37 pm »
Would appreciate any thoughts/ comments on this bamboo backed ipe that I have started tillering today. I made the Eric Krewson tillering gizmo - clever idea - can see how it helps a lot.... but not quite sure how it would work with a R/D bow?

Anyways here are some pictures - not sure if it’s too stiff out towards the tips. Bow is 67” NTN - symmetrical tiller at the moment - but I swing both ways/ am open to suggestions when it comes to shorter bottom limbs. I shoot split finger. This one has a “power lam” between the bamboo and the belly. It’s about 45 lbs at 24 inches - last pic. Not shooting for any particular weight really but would prefer it stay -50-55 range at my 28 inch draw.  I guess I have some wriggle room to pike it. It’s taken about an inch of string follow so far

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:24:23 am by Tommy D »

Offline RyanY

Re: Thoughts on R/D BBI tiller...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 01:39:29 pm »
I would recommend more bend in the outer half of the limbs. Looks nice and even though. You may be close to your desired draw weight already.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 02:00:23 pm »
I would recommend more bend in the outer half of the limbs. Looks nice and even though. You may be close to your desired draw weight already.

Totally agree with doc. If you had another 2-3" of reflex out at the tips your tiller would look like it does now. But, you don't. So make them move a touch more.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 02:59:07 pm »
OK ... I have tried to take more off the outer half ... not sure if I should keep going ... and I am going to make them narrower tomorrow ... but this is how she looks at 28” ... 50lbs ... still on about 1” of set since I started...

What’s everyone think ... still more off the outer half?

The one limb came out glued up with more reflex ... it seems to work better with this as the lower limb? Would that make sense - stuffed limb at the bottom? Yes

There is a place where the reflex transitions to reflex that I can’t decide whether it’s a flat spot and needs some material removed or if that’s a function if the transition from Reflex to Deflex....

I’ve gone with a new handle type than the cut out window!! 

A few more pics... unbraced, at 20, 24 and 28 inches.

Also at 67 inches ntn any thoughts one how short I could pike it to pick up a few lbs?

It seems to shoot nicely ... definitely feels like it prefers the weaker limb at the top.

Not against going asymmetrical tiller either...?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:08:16 pm by Tommy D »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 03:11:06 pm »
More off the outer 1/3 of both limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:19:22 pm »
Also at 67 inches ntn any thoughts one how short I could pike it to pick up a few lbs?

did the 1" of set you developed show up while tillering the last few inches or happen earlier on?

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 03:24:47 pm »
Early on... hasn’t changed since I’ve been reducing the outer parts...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 06:20:50 am »
I think it looks good enough now. Could it bend a tad more? Maybe. But the drawn profile pretty much matches the bow unbraced.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bambule

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 06:23:21 am »
Is there a taper in the bamboo to the tips? On the photo it looks like the bamboo strap is on the same level over the total lenght.
If there is no taper in the bamboo than you have to make the outer limbs quite thin to get them bending - and that will cost drawweight.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:55 pm »
I cut the bamboo to the shape of the bow which is a pyramid and then thinned to a knife edge so assume by default it’s gotta taper in length I would have thought. Had another look at it on the tillering tree - finding it hard to make myself take more off the belly! It’s at full draw and not taking more set. And I’ve realised that I don’t draw the 28inches I thought I did when I shoot... so have definitely overdrawn the bow.  I am just not sure I want to take off more. I will thin the tips and have another look. There is a bit of hand shock when I shoot it ... but tips still chunky. Maybe that’s the addiction of bow building ... it’s all so final when u over do it u can never wind the clock back! Sometimes the old pilot adage .... Any landing you walk away from is a good landing could hold true for bow building!

Next question though is that now I’ve realised that I really do draw closer to 27 than 28 ... do I take some off the tips and how much?!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:03:56 pm by Tommy D »

Offline bambule

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:31 am »
I would say the bow is done - the more you tweak the more can fail and the bow looks fine.
As Pearly said before: Looks good enough.
Build another one to improve your skill and learn from this one...

Ymy2cents

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 06:38:50 am »
Put it this way, Tom. When I go to shoots I look at bow tillers the whole time. It answers a lot of questions. If you were ahead of me on a target your bow wouldn't catch my eye as a bad one! Enjoy the bow, it will serve you well for a long time.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 01:57:08 pm »
Thanks everyone ... I will take Pearly’s comments as a great compliment!  Have just re-read one of Dean Torges articles on tillering. Also read his bit on fixing chrysals/ frets with plugs ... and there is a great comment about how he could probably have built a whole new bow in the time it was taking to fix an old one!

I cut out another bamboo back and I have a belly lam ready to go. Might try and squeeze a bit more R/D out of it ... but the Ipe sure doesn’t like to bend. I’ve done a couple with lemon wood, one with Pacific yew “scraps” off the belly of a self bow and I tried a Eucalyptus (Sydney BlueGum)  one once that fretted badly on the belly... but this Ipe sure feels like it wants to explode when I try and put a bit more bend in it.

Any thoughts on doing a triple lam with 2 thinner Ipe strips. I was going to try a maple core but the old timber yard is shut due the current state of affairs!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 02:31:24 pm »
People do multi lams but you're already likely close to the point of diminishing returns as far as how much reflex you are putting in.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 02:40:46 am »
Thanks Pat - interesting - any idea why one reaches a point of diminishing returns?

I was watching this you tube clip about “Opa Bows” ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&time_continue=134&v=m5ZUD8PyKAU

I know it’s developed into more of a horse bow/ static recurve ... but am intrigued whether I could do something similar with Ipe and bamboo...