Author Topic: Turkey hunt with my dad  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Turkey hunt with my dad
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:18:57 pm »
So tomorrows Im going turkey hunting with my dad to a public place we've never been before but its huge. no way there arnt any turkey. I got my calls down, decoys heated and shaped to get creases out. my one concern is that this is my dads first turkey hunt. in fact this is the first time its only been him and me and im really nervous because i want my dad to want and come hunting with me. any suggestions on how to make this turkey hunt a good one for my dad?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Turkey hunt with my dad
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:39:14 pm »
turkey hunting takes some knowledge and there's only one way to get it. I suspect you'll have fun just being out hunting together.  I imagine that's more the point than actually taking a turkey. Keep at it and enjoy your time in the woods.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 08:53:24 pm »
yeah, ive been turkey hunting for 3(?) years? yeah, i just want my dad to just have a good time

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:11:53 pm »
Just spending time with you should do it.  ;)   (SH)  :G
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:21:30 pm »
I've never been around you in person, Russell, but if your presence here is any indication, you're pretty good company.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Just have a good time and remember that goof-ups can be just as fun as (and a lot funnier than) success, if you approach them the right way.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:42:01 am »
Good luck and be sure to let us all know when dinner is!  Are you using bow or shot gun?  Either way counts for the first hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:48:19 am »
We want to hear about the funny things, too!  Like maybe the first bird was exactly between me and Jacie on top of a boulder, and I managed to miss the nest one, twice!(There are only 2 barrels on a side by side! :G :G >:D (lol). Good to hear you and Dad are getting out together!  Maybe next year, we can get a hunt going together as we hope to be in Chappell very soon.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 08:03:09 am »
Success! He loved it! we didn't hear a lot of gobbling but we set up in a treeline and didn't realize that the roost was right behind us!  :o  a tom flew down right behind us. like RIGHT behind us. told my dad to stay still and he ducked thinking i was going to shoot. I purred to tell the gobbler that he didn't see what he saw and that everything was all right. he believed my purring, but then my dad turned his head to look at the turkey and the tom knew he saw that.  :'(   :D . it was pretty funny. my dad had buck feaver and he didn't even have the gun! lol. it was really fun so we went home when we realized that that flaming orb was right in front of us making our sight bad. on our way home we saw a field with 6 toms and around 12 hens. but they were in city limits so we didn't bother finding out who owned it. pretty fun day!!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 09:50:48 am »
At the end of the day just to have a turkey come to your calling, whether it is a hen, gobbler or you don't even shoot one, will be the icing on the cake and I'll bet he will be hooked.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 10:03:43 am »
You did good Russell. Time well spent with your dad and that is something you will never forget.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 01:08:38 pm »
Glad you had a great time.  The first time I took my wife out elk hunting, I felt the same way--really wanted her to have a good time and see what all the fuss was about.  We got up the hill just a little late and hiked off the main road at first light.  Only hiked in a couple hundred yards, sat her under a tree, and did a calling sequence.  Then I started breaking off twigs to clear shooting lanes just in case something wandered in.   I turned around to see how Mrs. Badger was doing.  Her eyes were the size of pie plates and she was waving and pointing frantically.  I spun around just in time to see a raghorn bolt from 30 yards away.  She said he'd been standing there looking at me for at least 20 seconds, but I was so busy setting up I neither saw nor heard him.

Dumb mistakes aren't just for the rookies!   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 01:22:14 pm »
Glad you had a great time.  The first time I took my wife out elk hunting, I felt the same way--really wanted her to have a good time and see what all the fuss was about.  We got up the hill just a little late and hiked off the main road at first light.  Only hiked in a couple hundred yards, sat her under a tree, and did a calling sequence.  Then I started breaking off twigs to clear shooting lanes just in case something wandered in.   I turned around to see how Mrs. Badger was doing.  Her eyes were the size of pie plates and she was waving and pointing frantically.  I spun around just in time to see a raghorn bolt from 30 yards away.  She said he'd been standing there looking at me for at least 20 seconds, but I was so busy setting up I neither saw nor heard him.

Dumb mistakes aren't just for the rookies!   ;D

lol! did she get it?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 05:07:57 pm »
No, she was just along for the ride.  Like your dad, I think she got some idea of what the big deal was, though.  I spent the rest of the year explaining that seeing a bull 200 yards from the main road after a single calling sequence was not the way this usually worked.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 05:24:14 pm »
Sounds like a successful hunt Russell. I was pretty sure if he could put up with you on the long ride to Marshall, the turkey hunt should be a breeze. I’m sure you will remember both.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 06:04:02 pm »
Russel, ya did real good, Just enjoy the memory's, Oh what I would give to go on just one more hunt with my Dad, It just wasn't meant to be as he died at a very early age 42 and I was just 16. Enjoy everyday that you can with your Dad and count your blessings. Bob