Author Topic: Osage checks on back  (Read 1607 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Osage checks on back
« on: April 19, 2020, 03:44:12 pm »
I know it’s common for osage, as long as they don’t run off, fill with super glue and carry on.
For those that sell bows, would you sell a bow if it had these checks even if you knew it was safe?
I’ve always had really good luck avoiding these checks, but a few of my blanks have opened up a bit, and I’m not sure how I feel about using them for custom bows

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Osage checks on back
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 04:20:55 pm »
I think if you are up front and tell the customer the wood has some beautiful imperfections,, that will not effect the durability,, ,, and the stave is excelent bow wood,, it should be fine,,,maybe send pic in progress,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:27:47 pm »
I agree with Brad.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:17 pm »
For sure best to be honest and tell them, but some folks, especially non self bow folks just don't get it, they see a crack and just know it is ruined. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:15:36 pm »
 As long as the crack doesn't run directly into the edge, it won't structurally be a problem.
You can make that known to the customer, just so they are aware, or decide whether they want that bow or not.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 06:26:09 pm »
Like these guys said, it's all about communication. I've explained cosmetic issues like this and shared pictures. I make sure they know I'm comfortable with it and then I make sure they are truly comfortable as well. If I get the sense that they aren't crazy about the idea and are "settling" I don't push it. I'll make them a new bow free of those kind of features. I can always put the other bow up for sale and be upfront in the description about the features. Then potential buyers know what kind of bow they're getting from the get go. What you want to avoid is having a customer receive a bow and discover things like that for themselves. Then they think you're trying to pull something over on them and no amount of explaining will satisfy some customers.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:41:33 pm »
Harmless imperfections that are skillfully integrated into a bow give it character and life. I don't get excited anymore about perfectly symmetrical bows without "flaws". People who don't understand wood bows (which is most of them) don't appreciate the difference between a feature and a defect. That is one of the reasons I don't sell bows anymore.
Gordon

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 01:24:40 am »
Great answers thanks guys

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 03:07:00 am »
Harmless imperfections that are skillfully integrated into a bow give it character and life. I don't get excited anymore about perfectly symmetrical bows without "flaws". People who don't understand wood bows (which is most of them) don't appreciate the difference between a feature and a defect. That is one of the reasons I don't sell bows anymore.

Well said
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 06:06:04 am »
Some people can’t deal with a scratch or a wiggle. Some believe they know that a bow has to be perfectly straight with zero twist and no imperfections. Others like a bit of character some tool marks. A knot hole in the middle of the limb. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I’m like Gordon. If I wanted perfect I would probably just go f.g. I have sold a very limited amount of bows. I try to explain different styles and characters of bows before I start making them one to get a idea what they want. Then try to find a piece of wood that fits them. I always try to explain as much as I can about the finished product. Never try to hide imperfections. In fact I usually try to point them out before they do.

I think if your confident it’s good. And they are happy with it. It shouldn’t be a problem. I have had some I felt confident in, but decided to gift to a close friend anyway. They are all still shooting and nobody seems to worry about them anymore.

Ideally everyone is happy. I certainly wouldn’t allow anyone to take possession of anything they weren’t happy with.

Bjrogg

PS chances are pretty good , they will do something unknowingly stupid and cause more damage than the check. The imperfections will most likely then be to blame. One of the reasons I sell a very limited amount of bows. I’ve never had a unhappy costumer, but I’ve had a couple who unknowingly did something that was detrimental to their bows. Even after I had explained to them Never to do it.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 07:13:09 am »
I tell them, " if you have a problem I will make you a new bow", some wood bows fail for no apparent reason, I have made a few replacement bows to send out, just like i said I would.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 10:14:56 am »
Like already said by many on here green horns owning their first self bow most times have got a lot to learn.All because they don't make them themselves.Charcterish self bows are one of a kind and special.It's second nature to us who make bows like this how to take care of them.It's hard to get past the mental block some green horns might have.
In my situation I move my overrun of bows over the years to a traditional bow shop owners' business.He has made many self bows himself.We shoot 3D often through the summer.In fact he buys many himself from me.I don't let him have one that I'm skeptical about.He knows this too.I tell him to tell his customer my name and phone number if they have any questions or need a fix or want to make one themselves.
He takes his cut from selling them and we are all happy.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:18:22 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 10:52:27 am »
The last time I considered making a bow for money, the guy insisted that the wood had to be completely knot free. I told him to go an buy himself a laminated fiberglass bow. Now a days I either gift or donate most of my bows. If someone doesn't like something about one of my bows they are free to give it back - so far no one has...
Gordon

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 12:00:48 pm »
Nothing to add other than - back em with some nice rawhide to give yourself peace of mind. Checks can alter over the years in you live in a variable climate (like here) and you never know how somebody is going to treat the bow. I like my customer bows to be a shade overbuilt.