Author Topic: Frying  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Frying
« on: April 23, 2020, 01:42:17 am »
As i was Thinking about heating to recurve Wood i tought, we dont want dry Heat, but a lot of Heat. Water wil vaporate at 100 degrees celcius while oil can go wat higher in temp. So i was Thinking It could be good to Fry the piece of Wood?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Frying
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 06:28:36 am »
Boiled water or steam seem to be plenty of heat to bend wood if you give it enough time to thoroughly heat. I guess boiling oil would too but it seem like a lot of oil for this purpose.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 06:39:24 am »
Maybe if you could submerge the entire bow in pineresin or the like, and control the temperature very carafully, like maybe some kind of sous vide setup. Then you could heat treat the entire bow without overheating the back? Combine with a vacuum chamber (a very long one), and you could really get the resin into the wood cells. Maybe too much of a hassle for most bowmakers though;)
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 10:01:27 am »
At pat b, when you fill a pipe with oil then you wont need too much i think and at nicazana, sound like a lot of hassle hahaha

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:52:37 am »
Sounds dangerous to get a bunch of oil really hot. All kinds of things go wrong doing that.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »
When your frying potatos you do the same dont you? And "back in the days"  (lol) they didn't have a electric frying pan

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 02:20:23 pm »
heres two quotes that i found.

"Most kinds of wood will start to combust at about 300 degrees Celsius"

"The boiling point estimates that I've found are pretty sketchy, but a fair estimate for soybean oil (most cheap cooking oil is soybean oil) is about 300 C (or 572 F). You can compare this to the boiling point of water, which is 100 C (or 212 F)"

you want to get it hot, but not too hot. i think 300 C is a bit too hot while water is at that just right place.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:21:30 pm »
Think i'll stick to frying bacon and potatoes....

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 04:30:35 pm »
I have thought about this also,

My Father is a beekeeper, they dip their hive boxes in paraffin wax to seal them against the elements, I have wondered if using the wax heater and paraffin wax would be a good way to heat the bow for bending or even sealing the bow after it is made.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 12:16:30 am »
I have thought about this also,

My Father is a beekeeper, they dip their hive boxes in paraffin wax to seal them against the elements, I have wondered if using the wax heater and paraffin wax would be a good way to heat the bow for bending or even sealing the bow after it is made.

Paraffin wax is a a good sealer but that's it.