Author Topic: Reducing weight  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Reducing weight
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:39 am »
As i barely Comes to real practise because Arrow making is kind of a pain at the moment and i break Them due to missing target.. i think because my form ain't consistent. I would like to reduce the draw weight of my bow a bit so its easyer to keep consistent anchor point so i get some muscle memory.  If need to know, my bow took lot of set/string follow in mid limb because i have stiff Outer limbs (almost mollegabet-ish)  when i lay the bow with back facing the ground only the handle touches It and i can go with my finger underneath the tips.

What is best way to reduce the weight? Just get the Outer limb more working by narrowing the last third of limbs? Or thin the parts wich took set also and Heat threat again?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Reducing weight
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:35:34 am »
Whatever you do don't thin the parts that took set! :o
They are the weak parts that were bending too much!
Thin everything else first to get the tiller good... then if that means taking some scrapes off the areas with set, that's fine.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:43:23 am »
Whatever you do don't thin the parts that took set! :o
They are the weak parts that were bending too much!
Thin everything else first to get the tiller good... then if that means taking some scrapes off the areas with set, that's fine.
Del

+1

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 01:35:16 pm »
Oke i did think that set is compression fail because too thick related to width

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 02:29:26 pm »

Del

An other thing, why thin It and not narrow?  Or u mean Thin  in the way of reducing?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 10:15:25 pm »
you just reduce the thickness of the limbs. i mean you could narrow it but with white woods you normally want it wider.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:48:15 am »
Show us a picture of the strung profile and we may be able to suggest where to remove wood to drop the poundage for a better shooting bow.

I don't know if you used a tillering gizmo on your limbs when you tillered them but using one as you drop poundage is a great way to keep from over stressing the limbs and make your wood removal more precise.

When I reduce poundage I use the gizmo to find any slightly stiff spots in the limbs first and correct them. After they are corrected I check my poundage and see how much drop I have. Next I take full length scrapes of the limbs and count the number. I find 10 scrapes on each limb is about a 1# drop. All the while I keep checking with the gizmo to make sure I didn't dig a little to deep in one place or the other.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61422.0.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:55:04 am by Eric Krewson »

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 05:43:44 pm »
Here is the picture braced (6 inch). The red lines is where i think it should bend more

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
And i didn't use a Gizmo. At the moment im not  sure if i i want to reduce the weight because i think i found the error in my form/anchor point. Unless  it have more chance to break i want to leave It as my first Shooter and spend my time in making a better one.(the first bow did break before It even hitted a target)