Author Topic: Glue for snake skin backing  (Read 3292 times)

Offline gumboman

Glue for snake skin backing
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:00:26 am »
Has anyone tried gluing snake skins using two part bow expoxy such as Smooth On? I know hide glue or one of the Titebond glues is normally used, but the Smooth On is such a strong glue with a long pot life that it seems to me it would work well. I'm just wondering if there are pitfalls to using it on snake skins that I don't see at the present time. I'm going to back an osage bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Glue for snake skin backing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 06:43:40 am »
I've never used Smooth On for anything so I can't answer to that. You don't need a strong glue for snake skin backing. I now use hide glue but have used TB, TBII, TBIII and simple white glue, all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:01:33 am »
I would guess the cost would be a pitfall.  I've never bought smooth on but I would guess it would be more expensive than TB glue. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:02:07 am »
titebond II is all you need .. its waterproof.. smooth on would be a waste imo... the beauty of titebond is it is easy to squeegee out air bubbles and clean up with water. it will bond skin just fine... gut

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:30 am »
You need something thin for snakes skins, smooth on is way to thick and would be impossible to squeeze out the excess from under the skin.

I recommend TB3 or Elmer's Stainable wood glue, both are a neutral color and won't show through your skin. I use a glue brush dipped in water to thin the glue as I put it on.

I have skinned about 50 bows and started out with TB1, the problem with that glue is it is yellow and will show through your skin.

I used TB1 on my late wife's bow years ago, the yellow really shows through.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 07:18:51 am »
You want glue thin enough to do this; work the excess glue out from under the skin with your thumb.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 07:28:58 am »
Epoxy and hide are not a good match.   Jay Massey spoke of gluing rawhide onto his early bows and it would fall apart in no time.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 09:12:44 am »
I tried using smooth-on to apply birch bark once.It worked but not as smooth and conforming as using a tite bond glue or hide glue.Plus it can be more messy to deal with also.A wet snake skin will conform better to the bows' backs' irregularities.Using smooth-on the snake skin would need to be dry.
I used to put a thin super glue bead on the edges of snake skins on bow limbs too.It works good for wear and tear that might occur,but still not necessary.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 09:35:07 am »
TB3

Offline gumboman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 10:33:49 am »
Thanks to all who gave input. Just what I was looking for. I knew I could get some good advice here. I will go with TB3.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:15:32 am »
you will be very pleased ... size bow and skin... put a thin film on bow and skin..of course wet skin before applying .. get all bubbles out and set overnight.. I take a fine rasp and rasp edges for clean edges...better than a razor blade IMO... I after a day or so then get masking tape and lay over skin to remove scales.. they will just come off on tape.. personally I use a spar varethane satin finish on my bows and skins... but many options available.. good luck..gut

Offline gumboman

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:29:44 am »
Should I wrap it, or no? I saw a video where cloth strips were used to wrap the bow and skin to dry.  Others say no need to wrap. What are your recommendations?

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 11:50:47 am »
I have never wrapped mine.. if you do have a edge come up you can super glue it... not saying it won't happen but if you get the glue on both bow and skin you shouldn't have that issue at all.. it is really a simple procedure to apply skins.... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 11:56:21 am »
I usually wrap skins with strips of old bed sheets for about 1 hour then remove it. If there are air bubbles or glue pockets you can still squeeze them out the sides. If you are not able to you can make a small slit in the skin at the bubble or glue pocket with a razor, lengthwise to the limb, squeeze out the glue or air and press the slit to reseal it.
 If you wrap it be sure the wrap leaves the skin centered and doesn't slide the skin to the side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gumboman

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 06:02:34 pm »
Eric is that blue painters tape I see on the belly and sides in your photo?