Author Topic: Good hatchet recommendations?  (Read 2029 times)

cool_98_555

Good hatchet recommendations?
« on: May 13, 2020, 11:10:00 pm »
Hey guys,

Well it was a sad day today.  I have been using the same hatchet for roughing out bows for years, and it belonged to my grandpa.  It broke today after striking the floor by accident (it was old).  Any recommendations for a good hatchet that cuts straight?  I use a hatchet to do all of my roughing out because I don't have a bandsaw.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  I'm not looking to spend more than $50.

Thanks!

Offline Corvus

Re: Good hatchet recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:41:00 pm »
Well they are more than $50, but have always heard great reviews on grunsford's. I have a vintage all metal hatchet that works pretty well, not branded, but the style is damn near impossible to break. I use it as my wedge for splitting logs, just got a band saw today so going to be roughing out with that from now on. Still prefer to hand split even if bandsaw may be possible to get an extra stave or two, gives a feel for where run out might happen. If a piece splits off to the side then more often than not it is still usable as a billet :)
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:47:27 pm »
I am assuming it is a steel shank hatchet? Just a thought but if you wanted, send it to me and I can repair it for you.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Corvus

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:07:02 am »
I am assuming it is a steel shank hatchet?
Ah that is what they are called, that is exactly what I use. Thing feels damn near impossible to break even when I abuse it as a wedge. Don't see why they would fail unless rusted, but they can definitely be forge fixed. I am not a forge guy, would like to some day, if mine broke I'd probably just weld it lol
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:32:15 am »
I am assuming it is a steel shank hatchet?
Ah that is what they are called, that is exactly what I use. Thing feels damn near impossible to break even when I abuse it as a wedge. Don't see why they would fail unless rusted, but they can definitely be forge fixed. I am not a forge guy, would like to some day, if mine broke I'd probably just weld it lol

if welded it would just break at the weld without heat treating it again. It's not a hard process to anneal it, weld it up, grind it down again and then heat treat it again. Should last a little closer to forever.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 08:59:17 pm »
It was a nice hatchet and I am sad it broke, but I am ready to move on to something else.  Maybe I'll weld it sometime in the future.  You say $50 is too low for a good hatchet?  What would a good hatchet cost, and what kind?  I'd be willing to pay more than $50 if it comes with a good recommendation from you guys. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:05:59 am »
You may be able to find a U.S. made Estwing steel shank with the leather handle in a flea market fo $50 or so. I am not sure where they are made now.  You get what you pay for.  I would try to get Grandad's hatchet fixed if it were me.  I have heard Brian does good work!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Corvus

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:14:27 am »
It was a nice hatchet and I am sad it broke, but I am ready to move on to something else.  Maybe I'll weld it sometime in the future.  You say $50 is too low for a good hatchet?  What would a good hatchet cost, and what kind?  I'd be willing to pay more than $50 if it comes with a good recommendation from you guys.
You should be able to find a serviceable hatchet around $50, was just saying I know a lot of people highly recommend gransfors bruks, solid quality and if you look around you can probably find one in the $60-$80 range (based on a quick search in Google shopping tab)
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:48 am »
I got an amazing beared heatchet head off etsy that i put a handle on... the head was only around 30$ and has been a great tool.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 10:28:18 am »
I have an ax I have been using on bows for the last 10 years. Don't know the brand name, but I know I didn't pay much for it.First thing I did with it was hollow grind the front side of the ax. works great.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 11:09:45 am »
I had a grandfors small hatchet too and is easy to make it razor Sharp, i dont have knowlegde of metals but the cutting egde is like a single bevel taper from the back to the front

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 11:14:27 am »
I took a chance and decided to try this one last year even though it's cheap. Works great and has stayed sharp despite quite a bit of use. Nice for roughing out a stave and even light splitting, but I also bought their splitting axe for heavier work.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X7-Hatchet-Inch-378501-1002/dp/B0002YTO7E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fiskars+hatchet&qid=1589560239&sr=8-2

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 12:01:30 pm »
Garrett Wade Japanese bearded axe is the best I've used. 90 bucks I believe.

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 05:52:33 pm »
bearded is nice for fine work, and a broad hatchet has the edge on all on one side for taking a shallower cut.

there are some inexpensive broad hatchets that already have an overhanging edge that would not be hard to modify further for a little more finger clearance if you wanted both features in full.

an adz might serve well also. here is a small one that could be easily made from a piece from an old file.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 06:15:12 pm »
They're not cheap but they're worth it. I love my Gransfors Bruk caving axe. I roughed out staves with that for years, only had to touch up the edge a few times.