Author Topic: What to do first with this stave  (Read 925 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

What to do first with this stave
« on: May 15, 2020, 02:33:18 am »
I started a new elm bow project and put the short one where im going to put on siyahs asside. This is a 55 inch stave and i want to make a recurve bow out of it, i know It is kind of short and maybe not the easyest to do for a rookie but i really like the looks of Them. One part of the bow is straight but the other part has deflex in the mid limb area and then  the Outer third have some reflex in It (Both bends are naturaly grown)
How do i handle this? Is It possible to straighten the deflex part with dry heath and after that tiller a bit more and then boil the tips to recurve?

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Re: What to do first with this stave
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:02:39 am »
Decided to straighten the deflex part of the mid limb  with dry Heat as It was far enough away from the tips where the recurves are going to be.

I did An other try on recurving a piece of elm, this time with wider thicker and smoother piece and only some small splinters lifted wich can be rasped and sanded off and i can use It on my bow where i intended to put siyahs on. The question for this bow is: would this kind of recurves be good or are they too much for a 55 inch bow? ( Not going to use this siyahs on this bow but its Just for axample)