Author Topic: Bendy handle question  (Read 987 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Bendy handle question
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:01:51 am »
Since ik working on quite a short bow i want the handle bending , at the moment its stiff and about 2 inch wilde, this is ofcourse not comfortabel and makes Arrow spinning harder. How small can i make it? Just as small till It is comfortabel? And when it is bending too far van i then Just glue thickness to it?

Offline RyanY

Re: Bendy handle question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:16:03 am »
Depends on the overall design and wood species. For shorter Native American style bows, I like to keep it around 1.25" wide. Sometimes I'll go to 1.125" wide if it's on the lighter side. I wouldn't suggest narrowing it if it's already bending. It's easier to remove wood than to add it later, not a recommended strategy.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 10:18:45 am »
you can make a bendy handle bow with a narrowed handle just make sure the fades are really long.
iv'e gone as small as 1-1/4" handle with 1-3/4" wide limbs.

i don't know about gluing more wood onto the handle if it bends to much, thats asking a lot from a short glue joint and if its bending already its probably rounded off some making a good glue joint really hard to make.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:40:28 am »
You can make a narrower handle area if you leave it thick. Leave the middle 1/3 of the overall length thick and when the outer 1/3 of each is bending bring the bend back into the handle area. I like to feel the handle bend slightly just as I hit full draw.
Wider handle areas don't make spineing arrows more difficult you just need weaker spined or longer arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 10:46:42 am »
You can make a narrower handle area if you leave it thick. Leave the middle 1/3 of the overall length thick and when the outer 1/3 of each is bending bring the bend back into the handle area. I like to feel the handle bend slightly just as I hit full draw.
Wider handle areas don't make spineing arrows more difficult you just need weaker spined or longer arrows.

That's true but something in my mind says you lose lot of energy when the Arrow is flexing that much.

I did remeasure the demensions of my handle and its 3/4 inch thick and 1 1/2 inch wilde, still stiff. I aim for a 50/60 lb bow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 10:49:58 am »
I shoot 30" arrows from my 26" draw bows. I've never noticed any less energy imparted on them plus the arrows are heavier giving more impact.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 02:36:53 pm »
I dont mean that longer arrows lose energy but Just the fact that the more they need to bend around the handle the more energy they lose, but that is Just what i think, i dont have Anny chrono or something but Just what seems logic to me

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 04:43:06 pm »
An other question, do people evver make a bendy handle reflex deflex bow with the bending handle already deflexed when unbrace?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 04:56:54 pm »
The Cayuga Indians made R/D bendy handle bows of a sort.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 05:14:36 pm »
Oke thanks, might do that to my first recurve bow if the second limb also bends succesfully because when recurving the first limb i forgot to not put in the caul as far as possible ( ended up with big recurved tip) but It might also help to not Heat treat the entire curve so a psrt of It Will be pulled out of Serve as working limb