Author Topic: Bubbles in glue  (Read 1811 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Bubbles in glue
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 07:34:25 am »
You can whip air bubbles into EA40 and you will see them under clear glass. If you put heat directly on your glued up work the epoxy will bubble as well.
Very interesting way to R & D a bow.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 09:53:45 am »
I like the zip tie idea. I used insulation tape on the second one and duct tape on the third. Both worked well.

is insulation tape the same as vinyl electrical tape? I guess there was more to your glue up than we saw in the pic.

and then there is this traditional method with a modern (epoxy) glue.

Code: [Select]
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/rope-and-wedge-bowmaking-buildalong-t55920.html
"many ways to skin a cat"  it is said. I for one, heat my workpiece, but would never consider warming the epoxy.  Guess we have all have had a learning experience when it comes to glue ups and refine our methods individually.

bownarra

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 07:09:39 am »
You can whip air bubbles into EA40 and you will see them under clear glass. If you put heat directly on your glued up work the epoxy will bubble as well.
Very interesting way to R & D a bow.

HH~

Buubles that are visible under glass are more likely to be the veneers gasing off. EA40 will always have bubbles in from mixing, it would be impossible to mix without inducing many bubbles. They don't matter at all with correct laminating pressure. I use 65 psi for my glass bow lay-ups

Offline HH~

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 06:04:01 pm »
I know with Huntsmans you can easy whip it full of air. Yes, you can fold without whipping air in it. Just like water surface tension, air van get trapped as a bubble and withstand incredible pressures and hang under you work.

Do not whip your epoxy like scrambled eggs!

Take it for what its worth. Dont use ea40 anymore, was not designed for doing wood lam glue ups. Huntsmans was.

HH

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW