Author Topic: Dave mead bamboo bow specifications  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Wooden1

Dave mead bamboo bow specifications
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:18:14 am »
Hi there. I've been trying to hack dave meads bamboo bow. I'm about to attempt to build it but was unsure of the dimensions of the handle, the siyahs, the bamboo and the glue / adhesive wrap he uses. Does anyone have any information on this ? Or diagram of the parts. It looks like a fun project to try. Thanks
Modify message
Report to

bownarra

Re: Dave mead bamboo bow specifications
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 12:53:54 am »
What do you mean by 'hack'?
Just make something that looks like it? You have a picture at least right?

Offline bassman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:57:45 am »
Here are some Dave Mead style bows  that I made a few years back with 2 ft.bamboo slats,Maple, and Osage. One is reflex, and one is deflex. Handles are 7 inches long, limbs are 22.5 inches long,and the siyahs are 4.5 inches over all on one, and 7 inches over all on the other one. Both bows are around 50 inches long strung. The deflex bow is 37 lbs, and the reflex is 42 lbs. at 25.5 inches of draw.My slats are on the thin side. With thicker slats you can get more poundage.It is all I had. Lots of variables, but those measurements should get you in the ball park.

Offline Wooden1

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 10:40:37 am »
They look great ! Thanks for that . How did you glue the siyahs together ?

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »
Handles ,and Siyahs are glued on with hot glue, and the belly of the bows are heat treated. You can also cut the handle top on an angle to get more reflex pitching the limbs upward. Rough areas to be glued with a fine hack saw blade. Here is some pics of one that I made with  Bamboo backing, and Bamboo floor board used for the belly with no Siyahs with an Oak handle , and the lambs glued together with Smooth On epoxy. 46lbs at 54 inches with a 5 inch brace. Slight deflex, but pretty snappy.Bone tip over lats with 10 strand low stretch string.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »
I thought I was looking at a bow with two handles!!! :D

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:18:23 pm »
Have you tried asking Dave Mead? He might be able to give you a few quick pointers at least.

Offline Wooden1

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:37:37 pm »
Thanks guys I made a handle which I thought was about right but turns out it's at an extreme angle . I'll ask Dave mead himself thanks for the posts guys your bows look great !

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:29 am »
Have you tried asking Dave Mead? He might be able to give you a few quick pointers at least.

Agreed, very cool guy.  Better yet buy one of his kits.