Author Topic: OH! Its a BOY!  (Read 4201 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

OH! Its a BOY!
« on: May 30, 2020, 04:02:54 am »
pics first

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: OH! Its a BOY!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:16 am »
Purple leaf plum D/R
No, not that kind of a boy….but as we always talk about our girls in this board - this one insisted to be a boy! Instead of hanging around - lol - I gave him some work to do - showing me the direction and force from wind.
The stick already had some D/R going on, which I tried to balance out by roughing out being green - tied to a board with spacers - and let it dry.
String alignment in the the handle with steam - the next day I had a crack there which I filled with superglue nothing serious - only cosmetic surgery.
After shooting him in last autumn I decided to put a finish on and oiled it with tung oil. Totally finished, I wanted to take some pics and recognized a delamination right under him on the belly. A 5 mm long frog mouth opened.
%’#& - I scraped the finish of cleaned the mouth as good I could with IPA and closed it with superglue. The belly was a bit concave so I patched it with sinew to get enough pressure from the sinew wrap. Underneath on the back, I reinforced with a flax patch, to stiff out the weak spot. I guess also torque forces leaded to the delamination. Also i inspected some weird irregular sections in the early growth ring (discouloratins, pockets)
Then I brought the weight down from 40# to 34#. Did some corrections and heat treat with the HG. Also the tips became narrower. Finished him in winter and shot about 500 arrows with him.
Don´t know how many shots more he will hold up, hoping for more as it shots very nice. String tension is good and the early draw weight is high and decreases until the last inches of draw.
I started with 2“ reflex. He holds 1“ reflex resting, after unbracing 1/2“ dynamic set.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 04:05:29 am »
62" ntn
34#@26“
Max w.: 1 7/16“
Nocks w.: 5/8“
Sinew delamination wrap
Flax stiffening
Self nocks - 1 side nock
Mass incl. handle wrap: 476g
Arrow rest: orange Loden (a local fabric - something like felt, made of sheep wool)
Handle and build up for the arrow rest is made of one piece of leather, wrapped around and secured with a hemp cord which also makes a good arrow strike plate.

10" - 08#  +4,5#
12  - 12,5  +3,8
14  - 16,2  +3,1
16  - 19,3  +3,2
18  - 22,5  +2,9
20  - 25,4  +2,9
22  - 28,3  +2,4
24  - 30,7  +3,3
26  - 34

I do this with a analog hanging scale, so it is not 100%
Hope you like him to!

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 04:06:55 am »
thanks for watching - let me know what you think ... ;D

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 05:56:22 am »
LOL! Nice piece of wood;) And impressive show of problem-solving persistance!
With that nice profile and tiller, it should definitely not be too flaccid to fling an arrow!
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 06:57:38 am »
Wow

A White Wood Boy!

Very nice work.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:48:05 am »
Ain’t about the size of the knot in your bow...but how you use it! Awesome bow and story. Way to save it from the delam.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 07:57:36 am »
Lovely profiles on that there plum stick :)

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 08:00:09 am »
I guess the shape of the branch kind of "dick"tated the top limb. I really like it. :D :D

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 10:59:20 am »
Definitely somewhat of a different kind of character bow. You did an excellent job with that stave. Very nice bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 01:03:58 pm »
This is awesome! That is certainly some character. Grower not a shower I guess.
But really, great job on this bow.
Eric

Offline bassman

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 08:11:20 pm »
Love it. Nice work. Unique. Nice profile. Great imagination. etc,etc,etc.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:03 pm »
Very good work, that stick came out fine. I like the shaping of the tips - something different!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 02:16:33 am »
 ;D I was hoping for some funny comments (lol)
I guess the shape of the branch kind of "dick"tated the top limb. I really like it. :D :D
Normally the bows orientation is like it grows, but on this one it just looked to painful :fp
Very good work, that stick came out fine. I like the shaping of the tips - something different!
I call them onion nocks, with a tiny looped stringer rope you can brace the bow. I don't know why but with plp the nocks came out always very organic shaped

Glad you like him guys!

Forgot to mention the sinew wrap is backstrip from a bull. I got this from simk, they worked out very nice, thanks man!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:47:55 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 06:19:54 am »
Really funny. And a nice bow, too!
Frank from Germany...