Author Topic: Black Hills, white canvas, and social distancing  (Read 3318 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Black Hills, white canvas, and social distancing
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 08:04:25 am »
Nice set up JW.I still got my canvas tipi/wall tent/and squaw cooler too.I'm opposed to loggers doing their thing around here too but can only control what I live on.In time more and more my area will be a haven for all wildlife with all of the extra oaks growing around here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 05:13:33 pm »
Nice JW, nothing better to clear the mind than spending time alone in the wild with your dog. ;)
Looks like a comfortable  set up.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 06:23:00 pm »
Nice campsite JW. Would love to get out there sometime.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 10:37:34 am »
How long does it take you to set up JW? It looks like great setup.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 12:21:08 pm »
An enjoyable read, JW.  Thanks for taking the time to paint the picture.  It gave me a welcome break from some isolated feelings these days!  Your set up looks very enjoyable.

Best,

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 05:20:57 pm »
I always liked them kind of camps but a bad wind storm can raise havoc with that set up too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 06:12:28 pm »
Excellent post. Camp looks great!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 09:49:00 pm »
Nice campsite JW. Would love to get out there sometime.
Bjrogg
Pick the date.

How long does it take you to set up JW? It looks like great setup.

By myself, about an hour. With help, usually an hour and a half (help is often in the way, LOL).

I always liked them kind of camps but a bad wind storm can raise havoc with that set up too.

I was on the flat parade ground at Fort Union at the confluence of the Missouri and the Yellowstone Rivers for a Rendezvous when we were hit with a "white squall" out of nowhere. We went from dead calm to 60 mph straight line winds instantly. In less than 8 minutes we had over 2 inches of rain and marble sized hail. One trader's tent was getting lifted, so several of us tried re-staking, but that wasn't working.  I wrapped a corner guy rope around my waist and plopped my but on the ground, back to the wind and took the beating while one other guy did the same and two others ran off. When all the drama abated, and I'd helped fix up everyone elses gear, I went back to my camp. Several guy ropes for the shade fly had pulled loose, but the whole shebang was standing. If you know how to stake it and cross tension the corners, this set-up is amazingly stout!

An enjoyable read, JW.  Thanks for taking the time to paint the picture.  It gave me a welcome break from some isolated feelings these days!  Your set up looks very enjoyable.

Best,

Stephen

I think you should come try it out.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 06:13:50 am »
I remember at 1 rendezvous amongst other stormy rendezvous's a storm came through in the middle of the night in a pretty protected area.Cottonwood trees along a river.Rained a lot afterwards.I had people scratching  on my tipi door to get out of the rain and get some sleep.Next morning they found their belongings soaked.
When I camped with a camp such as yours I always had plenty of extra rope.A requirement.A guy line cross wise diagonally both ways across the ridge pole was my solution.I've helped them before.
A camp like that is very nice though as far as being trader and pilgrim friendly.
Worst storm I went through was at a demonstration rendezvous for a towns' celebration.Tornado was only blocks away.Used my tipi again.Sounded like a freight train outside.2" of rain in an hour.I watched my center rope on that one as it was still secured by a 3" thick center stake,but it held.
I usually averaged around 15 to 20 rendezvous' a year is all but that was over 10 years worth or so.Not like some who did it for a living.Gone almost every weekend.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:54:58 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 08:08:27 pm »
Dang, Ed, now you have me craving for a night under cottonwoods. One of the most common trees where I grew up. There is something uniquely peaceful about that rattling rustle of cottonwood leaves.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2020, 07:35:18 am »
They are ok but in early June at least in Iowa they will emit a sap as a fine spray.Very sticky stuff on the windshields of cars etc.That was over at the Lewis and Clark rendezvous in western Iowa by a lake by Onawa.They have a reproduction of Lewis and Clarks' keel boat and a dug out cottonwood canoe.
Nice rendezvous.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:23:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 08:38:42 am »
A nicely told tale... :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.