Author Topic: ?How to--Cherry bark wrap?  (Read 984 times)

Offline Mad Max

?How to--Cherry bark wrap?
« on: June 04, 2020, 03:58:28 pm »
How to wrap cherry bark around handle?
I have some cherry bark to wrap my handle.
It's about 2" wide now, I can cut it  down to 1" or less?

soak it until is very soft?
use TB3?
Over lap when wrapping?
let dry and SG down anything sticking up?
smooth out with 220 and clear coat?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:02:12 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to--Cherry bark wrap
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:09:50 pm »
Mark, be sure to wrap from the bottom up to prevent moisture and debris from under the wrap and wrap in the direction your fingers point to keep the wrap tight. Although I've never used cherry bark for a handle wrap this is what I'd do with your other suggestions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:04:33 pm »
I was going to wrap from the bottom up.
We did some Hackberry (the brown layer under the bark) at moJam a few years ago and the overlap was about 1/8" thick so I sand it back to smooth.
Belly
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:34:17 pm »
Nice handle wrap. Too bad you couldn't keep the coppery sheen on the bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

Re: ?How to--Cherry bark wrap?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:22 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARzJJxYeic

About 26 minutes through this he does some cherry bark work. He skips over the handle part but you might pick up something.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:16:01 pm »
Soak the bark until it is soft in hot water - the thinner the bark the better. Scrape  both sides with the edge of a sharp knife until you get the copper color and it is as thin as you can get it (thinner=more bendy and less likely to crack). Coat side of the bark facing the bow with Titebond (or any other PVA glue really) and wrap, not overlapping ( the ride-up on the edge of an overlap tends to crack). Hold in place with twine or innertube wrapped a bunch of times around the handle. When dry sand smooth. No clear coat required, cherry bark is its own finish.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 08:08:13 am »
Thanks guy's
cool video