Author Topic: Yew shorty - done tillering  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Yew shorty - done tillering
« on: June 08, 2020, 02:04:21 pm »
In the topic underweight plum bow n ara sugested me to make a new bow and post pictures at every stage, i sayd i would try a bird Cherry stave but i changed my mind because i started a new job and have a little less Time per day to spend, i chose a yew stave i already started in the past. Its a 47 inch tip to tip stave wich i have a pyramid style taper from the center to the tips. I would like to make it bend through the handle, not bend till the handle. I found i supplier for cow sinew (Achilles heel) for in my eyes cheap. So i would like to back It with It. From this point on i would appriciate all help and input.

I aim for 40/50 lb draw weight at what evver draw lengt (28 inch if possible. Also, the sinew i can get Will be fresh and is sold per weight. I dont know how much i Will need and how to proces it. Not sure if the freeze the sinew per standard but would that Harm?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:21:42 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Re: Yew shorty
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 02:05:00 pm »
And sorry for the bad pics, my phone is messing with me sometimes

Re: Yew shorty
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:59:34 am »
I finished the tiller after it has been thrown in a pond and fished it out of the water because i regret it. It pulls 66lbs at 26 inch measured from the back.

Offline mutt

Re: Yew shorty - done tillering
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 02:26:40 pm »
Holy crap, can't believe the bend yew got outta that!
Amazing! Did you sinew the back?

Re: Yew shorty - done tillering
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 01:04:23 pm »
Thanks for your comment! No, unfortunatly i didnt have the chance to buy/use it yet.  I thinned the sappwood  and after it soaked in the pond i scraped the back a bit more to give it a clean look and be more safe since i was affraid about rotten wood.