Author Topic: Starting a new R/D Boo/Ipe, questions.  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Starting a new R/D Boo/Ipe, questions.
« on: April 26, 2008, 12:35:25 pm »
I am ready to start a new bow.  I want to try a narrower design like I see so many making.  I have ripped a boo plank and have two pieces.  One is about 3/4" and the other is close to an inch.  My ipe is any size I need it in width and about 3/8" thick.  I have thicker ipe but was thinking of using a actionboo core.  I have a barrel tapered 1/4-1/8" piece, and a straight 1/4" piece.  I have a 13" power lam that is about 1/4" in the middle tapering to nothing, if needed. Would I gain any thing by using the boo core?  How thick to leave my raw boo back for this project?  I am shooting for a 50@27 64NTN and would love the finished profile to have one inch of deflex and have the tips 1" behind the handle.  I would appreciate all the advice I can get.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

grantmac

Re: Starting a new R/D Boo/Ipe, questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:53:56 pm »
From my somewhat limited experience I'd say you could reach your goal with the 3/4" piece, the straight lam and a reasonably thick peice of raw boo. You don't want your tips to be past the front of handle, when they are that thin they can get unstable.
      Cheers,
              Grant

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:05:15 pm »
Thanks Grant.  I guess you are right about the reflex.  I've only built one other R/D and used osage and boo.  I had some tillering lessons with that one and ended up with a good bit of set.  If the tips wind up even with the back I would be happy.  So you don't think I should use the pre-tapered boo core?  I was thinking of using it along with tapering the 3/8 ipe slat belly.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:07:27 pm »
Marty, If you want a tri-lam I'd use the 1/4" ipe strip, 1/8" action boo, and a bamboo backing thinned to an 1/8". On these slender bows you must make sure you have a constant taper. If the limbs go to one side or the other its usually a lack of taper causing it..

Make sure your bamboo is even thickness on both sides since while these skinny bows require a little more precision when it comes to symmetry. Cut the belly out first and get it floor tillered to go into your form easily, and if a tri-lam like to glue the core up first, and let it dry..Then I glue on the backing with the curve amplified a bit more perhaps pushing the tips just past the handle.

Same applies to a backed bow, but you will have a thicker belly piece 3/8" and 1/8" bamboo.

A powerstrip will thicken the handle and can look cool, but it won't make the bow any faster..I do use them occasionally to have the grip rounded out some. Just make sure the bamboo easily bends around it and conforms..sometimes a put a little clamp  there with a tiny strip of wood right at the transition points.

Rich-back to the sawdust pit