Author Topic: art work on sinew backed rawhide osage in progress  (Read 1569 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

art work on sinew backed rawhide osage in progress
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:45 pm »
  this is a bow I started I think a year ago,, I roughed it out and just looked at it,,it is bout 47 nock to nock
it is from some fence post that were on the ground a long time,, I did not put reflex in it or heat treat it, I am being gentle with it ....  it  has some bug holes and other issues,, but holding together so far,,
  i was going to wait till I got it tillered to paint it but got impatient and started putting some on as I tiller,, bad idea cause you have to wait for the paint to dry to tiller again,,,, I am using oil paint,, its what I have handy,,and a bit more organic than acrylic,, not totally natural,, but pigment mixed with linseed,,
  the design is Native  inspired but not anything that would be considered authentic or a replication of something in a museum,, just my imagination,,, I enjoy making stuff up,, I drew the design on with an ink pen from the art store,,, its kinda like a sharp bendy point sharpie,, but has archieval ink,,

Offline Selfbowman

Re: art work on sinew backed rawhide osage in progress
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:16:58 am »
Nice art work Brad hope it works out for you. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:27:58 am »
Any artwork on a bow blows the mind of the $$$$ camo crowd. Life is too short to have weapons that do not please the eye.

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 06:25:55 pm »
Looks Awesome Brad. Your inspiring me to try that on a rawhide backed bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:39:13 pm »
u should try,, with paint,, you can keep correcting till you like it,, give it a go,,

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:34:57 pm »
Very cool. Looks great.
Mike

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:13 pm »
thanks guys, a few more pics, I tillered the bow out to 20 inches 55#,,and it shoots pretty good and did not blow up,, so Im calling it done, thanks for looking,,
the bow is 43 inches so would probably draw further,, but thats all I can handle unless I take weight off,, so just leaving it for now,,
the tips were a bit cracked and checked so I just made some nocks from sinew and they held fine, that way I didnt have to file into the tip I felt was a bit compromised,, it will shoot a 413 grain arrow 160 fps,,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 03:34:34 pm »
more pics,, the one limb is more colorful, and I left the other limb more simple, I just liked the design and was not worried about making the limbs the same,, but I think it could have worked either way,, making bow limbs with more color,, or both with a more simple design, I am basically just experimenting ,, so thats how it turned out,,
the handle is just a rawhide strip with the hair on , I am still experimenting with that,, next time I am going to cut it much thinner and see how it works,,
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:40:56 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 04:36:05 pm »
It works for you!  Nice job! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 05:37:46 pm »
thank you,,, :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 07:55:41 pm »
Looks pretty darn good