Author Topic: Boo Yew RD  (Read 7542 times)

Offline DC

Re: Boo Yew RD
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:50 am »
MMattockx has answered the questions well :) Thanks :)
The tri-lam route lets you build in a prestressed eg perry reflex glue-up. Do the glue-up in two stages. Belly and core, then add the backing. It is more messing about but that is what you will have to do to get the 200fps. You've re--awakened my interest in it too haha, I haven't built any bows like I describe for a while now b ut maybe I will :)
You can have a spliced in recurve with nothing 'protecting' the splice - no problem. I've done it many times and yes a simple v-splice.
Why heat treat both sides of the belly lams?

Do you have any braced and FD pics of this bow? How did it shoot? That stuff :)

Offline willie

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2020, 03:09:59 pm »
I could turn a solid drum I guess.

I recently saw online somewhwere, a homemade thickness sander that had a turned drum that utilized an off the shelf smaller  belt sander belt.  6-7/8" diameter possibly, would have to find the post or article again to verify that diameter.

Offline DC

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 03:22:49 pm »
I've looked at a bunch of videos. What was holding me up was how to anchor the ends of the sandpaper strip. Looks like a lot of them just screw it on and don't use the part of the drum where the screws are. A simple solution like that never occurred to me :-[ I've got about a half dozen sanding drums for the rubber thing. I was waiting for them to wear out but I'm still on the first one. Best sandpaper I've ever seem. If I could figure a way to attach the sanding drums to a solid drum. I guess if the drum is going to last that long I could just glue it on and make a new one when it wears out. I always seem to think of the solution while I'm typing. Great think this forum ;) ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2020, 11:36:43 am »

More deflex built into the riser. (reference Adam Karpowzi's d/r bows) Reflex the whole limb, tiny bit inner limb, increasing as you progress along the limb towards the recurve.

Bownarra, you can see the amount of deflex in the pic of the jig. It's right around 10°. Then when I glued it up and reflex the limbs the bow looks almost straight. In this case would you say there is any deflex? Would you add more?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:47:02 am by DC »

bownarra

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2020, 01:41:29 am »
I would say you need a fair bit more. I can't remember the angle I used on my fastest recurve but will measure an old bow.
Basically I wouldn't want the tips of the glued up bow to be anymore than 2" in front of the handle .

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2020, 03:10:52 pm »

Basically I wouldn't want the tips of the glued up bow to be anymore than 2" in front of the handle .

Is this because you would overstrain the wood and it would become a case of diminishing returns?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2020, 08:37:43 pm »
I would agree with more than 2” in front handle it’s hard achieve low set wood bows. But there is better  tiller bowyers out there. But that’s about as far as I have been able to push the limits. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

bownarra

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2020, 01:41:35 am »

Is this because you would overstrain the wood and it would become a case of diminishing returns?

Yes.
18 degrees.

bownarra

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2020, 01:43:06 am »
Also re--read the chapter on the Wilcox Duoflex. When tillered right these are smoking fast. All the ones I've seen have been tillered as a regular bow so you don't get the initial hump on the f/d curve.

Offline DC

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2020, 08:27:10 am »

All the ones I've seen have been tillered as a regular bow so you don't get the initial hump on the f/d curve.

I don't understand? You can tiller for the hump? How?

Offline Badger

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2020, 08:30:11 am »
  DC, you can pick up some extra speed by shortening the working area in your limb but you have to add quite a bit of width or loose the benefits to set.

Offline DC

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2020, 08:43:52 am »
Thanks Badger, I did try widening a few but it just made tillering worse I have noticed that if the outer part of the limbs is stiffer the bow seems faster. Saying the same thing in a different way I guess. I have to get my tillering better that's all there is to it.

bownarra

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2020, 01:47:54 am »
By making the 'inner bow' thicker than normal. it explains it all in the TBB.
If your outer limbs are stiffer then you are concentrating the bend closer to the handle.
By doing this the tips return path is longer AND the inner limb is thicker. It is thicker because it is being acted upon by greater 'leverage' and thicker limbs have a natural faster return speed than a thinner limb. Of course set trumps all  :) A gain somewhere means a loss somewhere else normally....