Author Topic: Bear with self bow?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Blind Dog

Bear with self bow?
« on: July 03, 2020, 06:12:16 am »
I have drawn a Colorado first season bear tag, September rifle. According to Colorado regal I can use a legal rifle or any lesser weapon legal to hunt big game with. I’ve taken bear with rifle before but I’m seriously considering using my self bow. 52 pounds at 29” with Douglas fir arrows at 575 grains tipped with sharp two blades. Probable Ace or old Magnus II’s. I can keep my shots in a grapefruit size group all day long at 15 yards 6” at 20 yards. Personally I prefer half that on game.
I guess my question has anyone else done this? Bear with a self bow? This will be spot and stalk until one of my hunting partners has an elk down then I could set up a ground blind and sit on the carcass.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bear with self bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 08:30:35 am »
I've never bear hunted but your set up and skill level sounds good. There have been plenty of bears shot with selfbows. Good luck with your hunt and don't forget the pics.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:04:41 am »
I have drawn a Colorado first season bear tag, September rifle.

Black bear, I assume? They are considered no harder to kill than deer, so your bow should be fine in terms of lethality.

Mark

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 11:54:49 am »
The big drawback is that you have to wear 500 sq. inches of blaze orange since you have a rifle tag.  Bears do pose a challenge in that they hunt back sometimes.  I would recommend a legal sidearm, just in case, .41 mag or stronger(.357 is not legal)!  Good luck, sounds like you shoot very well!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 05:04:45 am »
Ive killed two with selfbows. If you can shoot you will have no problem. I think they are easier than deer but harder to pick a spot on that solid black hide.