Author Topic: First forge work  (Read 3663 times)

Offline osage outlaw

First forge work
« on: July 03, 2020, 07:46:21 am »
After several years of gathering supplies, making a forge, and acquiring an anvil, I have finally started to do a little forge work.  I took some salvaged bar stock and a double box end wrench and made some bottle openers.  I have no idea if they will actually open a bottle since I've never used one and only drink water.  I need to do some more clean up on them.  I made a quick drift out of a railroad spike to open them up after punching a hole.  I used a small axle to make a larger drift.  That took a lot of hammering.  Moving metal is a lot different than removing wood like I'm used to.  It was a lot of fun.  I drank about a gallon of water while I worked.  I was happy with how well the forge worked.  I kept several pieces in there at a time so I always had something ready to work on.  No waiting for a piece to heat up.  That axle was pretty thick and it had it glowing orange. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline KHalverson

Re: First forge work
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 07:57:58 am »
clint
your well on your way.
those bottle openers should work just fine.
if you have another piece of the axle it will probably make an awesome tomahawk.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 08:13:15 am »
I have more of that axle.  I think that was part of the shorter one.  I have 2 axles.  I have larger round stock that I think might be hardened steel.  One piece is stainless.   They are probably 80 years old or more.  They are hinge pins from huge dam gates on a river bank.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 01:52:04 pm »
Great work Clint!
I’d say forge the ends of those bottle openers into a little scroll or curlycue to give them a little style.
A wire wheel in a bench grinder or angle grinder works really well to shine up forge work while still looking forged. Maybe soak in vinegar overnight and then wire wheel.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:42:16 am »
very good start
your enthusiasm is contagious
Hope I can resist to start gathering my supplies

I know I wont resist  (lol)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 10:00:09 am »
Looking good, Clint. I had to back off forge work for a little bit. I've still got issues with my shoulders and waiting for an MRI.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 04:23:07 pm »
Looking good!  I am likely too far up in years to get a forge, but may try to find a blade smith, blacksmith type person who is set up and willing to train me a bit!  Bad shoulders don't help much either!  But first, I got to get everything moved and my shop organized!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 08:10:38 pm »
I did a little more work to them today.  I tapered the handles and curled them around.  I'm letting them soak in tung oil for a couple of days.  When I was finished forging that axle drift I quenched it in water.  I hit it with a file today and it skated across it.  I don't know what that steel is but it will harden.   

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 09:48:42 am »
Nice Clint. I’ve been waiting to see what you pull out of that forge. I’m pretty sure you will learn a lot in short order. I’m hoping to see you at Marshall next year and get you some scrap steel from our farm.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 10:33:58 am »
I'm impressed by how consistent the size is on the openers. I would find that difficult.