Author Topic: Osage Recurve 48#@28"  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Osage Recurve 48#@28"
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 05:00:45 am »
Beautiful bow for sure, very nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline snag

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 10:24:33 pm »
So coming off the handle and into the fades you made it flat going into the limb.
Is this just one way of transitioning into the limb. It’s a very beautiful bow as all your work
is Weylin. Just trying to learn from others.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 06:10:43 am »
Nice work.  I like the Cicada skin too.

Offline snag

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 07:47:22 am »
I’m admittedly a novice in selfbow building. I am continually am impressed with the beautiful and functional bows Wellington and others craft. My question, wanting to learn more, is do you choose the type of transition from fades to limbs based on what you want in design or type of wood? Thank you

Offline Weylin

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 07:55:42 pm »
Thanks a lot, y'all! I was preal pleased with how this one turned out.

Nice work.  I like the Cicada skin too.

Thanks, Pat. Glad someone noticed it.  ;D

Man Weylin its a masterpiece.. But did you forget the tip overlays? Ha Ha just kidding I have to say its flawless, Good on ya

Haha, thanks! I'm partial to self nocks if I get the choice

I’m admittedly a novice in selfbow building. I am continually am impressed with the beautiful and functional bows Wellington and others craft. My question, wanting to learn more, is do you choose the type of transition from fades to limbs based on what you want in design or type of wood? Thank you

Sorry, Snag. help me understand a little better what you're asking. Are you talking about the little ridge coming from the handle to the fades or are you talking about the shape of the tiller in the working limbs?

Offline snag

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 07:51:28 am »
I will try to explain myself better. I see some bows that have a raised ridge in the middle of the limb coming off the handle which eventually flattens out into the limb. Some people even dish out the belly leaving that ridge in the middle. On this bow you have made the transition flat, no raised ridge, yet thicker at the handle and tapering to a lower profile out into the limb. As I type this I think I am answering my own question. They are all ways of slowly and evenly transitioning the bending of the limb. Does this make sense?

Offline RyanR

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 01:56:51 pm »
Very nice!

Offline Stoner

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 06:54:53 pm »
Golly Weylin, You nailed it! Very clean, smooth lines & love the curves. Love the stain from the handle, cant wait till it color ages.  Simplicity at it's best. John

Offline kamil2910

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 05:05:04 am »
Oooo,very beauty bow

Offline Weylin

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 03:27:12 pm »
I will try to explain myself better. I see some bows that have a raised ridge in the middle of the limb coming off the handle which eventually flattens out into the limb. Some people even dish out the belly leaving that ridge in the middle. On this bow you have made the transition flat, no raised ridge, yet thicker at the handle and tapering to a lower profile out into the limb. As I type this I think I am answering my own question. They are all ways of slowly and evenly transitioning the bending of the limb. Does this make sense?

I see what you're saying. This was just a slightly artistic interpretation of the fade. All fades need to transition smoothly from the thick, stiff handle to the working limb so that there is not an abrupt change that creates a hinge. As long as you follow that basic rule you can have a little creative licence in this area depending on what your stave and design give you to work with.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 04:26:08 pm »
Wow.  That stain work and beaver leather just gilds an already beautiful bow.  Does she shoot as well as she looks?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 04:40:29 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 01:15:18 am »
Weylin, I have to say, After looking at your post again That is one super nice bow,  Are you keeping this one for yourself or is it for some lucky dog?

Take care,Chuck

Armstrong, BC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 07:54:27 pm »
Wow.  That stain work and beaver leather just gilds an already beautiful bow.  Does she shoot as well as she looks?

Thank you. I was really pleased with how this one performed.

Weylin, I have to say, After looking at your post again That is one super nice bow,  Are you keeping this one for yourself or is it for some lucky dog?

Take care,Chuck

Thank you! it's off to Georgia to hunt white-tails. I don't give myself time to make much for myself these days. just made myself a quiver though, that was fun.

Offline CallanJ

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 09:25:37 pm »
Your leather work on the handle (as always) is perfect.  I love the stain work ... that gives the bow a unique pop to its appearance.  Great work!