Author Topic: Thoughts on this board for backing material?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline RyanY

Thoughts on this board for backing material?
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:39:15 am »
I recently picked up an ash board in the hopes of using it as backing material. The piece is nearly quartersawn but the grain wanders back and forth along the board. Could easily make a snaky board bow but I am wondering how it would work for backing material with the wavy grain lines. My thought is that it would work since the grain is theoretically running linearly through the length of the bow. Thoughts?

Offline simk

Re: Thoughts on this board for backing material?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:45:23 am »
Ryan, I lately was at the same point with an ash backing and used one with similar undulating grain. it worked fine. cheers

Edit: this is a slim elb design that was stressed to 50# in the tillering stage. a wider limb wouldbe even more tolerant...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:27:01 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 07:29:06 am »
Interesting.
I've had wavy ash like that fail. What is the grain like on the edge of the board at the wavy spots?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:50:59 am »
After checking the board the grain wanders about 1/2” side to side so it might be a bit much for what I have in mind. I guess I wonder what a break would look like since it’s quartersawn. I have some hickory that is very straight so I may resort to that.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:11:50 am »
+1 on Simk's post
Depends on how high stressed the design is. I'd want it better on a high poundage ELB flight bow, but it looks good for a flat bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:47:55 pm »
I appreciate the insights everyone. It'll be the backing for a long black walnut bellied ELB under 50#.

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:28:00 pm »
if you have nicer hickory  maybe better go for that. i just wanted to test if it blows up on mine. i have many flawless backings but even more with little flaws...so its good to know now that i dont have to trash them all  ;D
--- the queen rules ----