Author Topic: How much wood do you remove?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline DC

How much wood do you remove?
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:52:54 am »
I was watching one of Del's videos and noticed that he was keeping a tally of trips to the tree. Got me thinking. I use a Torges type scraper and I'm wondering if it's removing wood too fast. On the average I've noticed that I get somewhere in the neighbourhood of one inch of drawlength gain on every scraping session. This is when I'm tillering for weight loss, not when I'm correcting some little thing. Does that jive with the drawlength gain you get for every trip to the tree?

Offline Badger

Re: How much wood do you remove?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:15:02 am »
Once I get into final tillering I think I pick up no more than about 1/4" per trip. Nothing wrong with going faster if you know exactly where the wood needs to come off. I used to think of it as removing wood to loose weight for final draw weight. Now I just think of myself as perfecting tiller until I hit final draw length and have to stop. I hate it when I hit perfect tiller too soon because it makes it harder to find spots to remove wood.

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 09:47:13 am »
I hate it when I hit perfect tiller too soon
I can think of a few thing I hate worse >:(

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 09:53:41 am »
I've been using your perfecting method and I really like it but I just seem to overshoot my mark. Everything will be going fine and then there's a thin spot. Usually on one side of the bow so I'm not holding the scraper level. I would use a cabinet scraper if I could but my hands won't take it. Tie that in with not being able to stand a dull scraper. The feeling of a scraper skating across the surface drives me nuts. So I'll have to get some self control and limit myself to one or two scrapes.
 When you are scraping what do you hold the bow with? A bench vice?  When the bow is in the vice(or what ever) can you get at both sides? Do you, or do you do all your scraping from one side?
 I'm finding these RD's quite difficult to tiller, especially if the limb gets thin, so any fine nuances that people have would be a help. :)

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 09:57:36 am »
I hate it when I hit perfect tiller too soon
I can think of a few thing I hate worse >:(

I'm with Willie here but I can understand what you're getting at. There you are at 10" draw with a beautiful bend and the only place to remove wood is-- everywhere ;D

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 10:19:54 am »
I was watching one of Del's videos and noticed that he was keeping a tally of trips to the tree. Got me thinking. I use a Torges type scraper and I'm wondering if it's removing wood too fast. On the average I've noticed that I get somewhere in the neighbourhood of one inch of drawlength gain on every scraping session. This is when I'm tillering for weight loss, not when I'm correcting some little thing. Does that jive with the drawlength gain you get for every trip to the tree?

What is a Torges type scraper? Have you ever measured how much wood you are taking off with a caliper? Why would counting the trips to the tree matter to anything? 1" of draw length for each scraping session doesn't sound like too much to me if you are trying to knock weight off.

Mark

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 10:35:13 am »
It's kind of a cross between a spoke shave and a cabinet scraper. Hang on, I'll take a picture---There ya go ;D I like it because I have arthritis in my thumbs and a cabinet scraper does me in.
Counting trips just made me think about how much wood I was taking off each trip and made me wonder if I was taking off too much and losing track. Especially when the limb is thin just one or two scrapes can make the difference between good job and a hinge

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 10:46:08 am »
sometimes when I get close, I just use a small sheath knife and only pick up the bow occasionally when I am not too rushed. more time measuring and looking at tiller than scraping.
what looked good last nite, is seen in a new light in the morning over coffee 

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 11:30:17 am »
Yep.

I have Dean's Bowyer's Edge tool and use it a good bit, but if the tiller is close and I'm just inching it down the tree I like a regular cabinet/card scraper. I seem to get a better feel for what I'm accomplishing with each stroke. Also, on some bow's like the snakey one I'm working on now, the Bowyer's Edge won't work right in all those bends.

I never bothered to count trips to the tree or how many work sessions it takes to move another inch. I'm probably the world's slowest tillerer... and I'm ok with that.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 12:44:00 pm »
It's kind of a cross between a spoke shave and a cabinet scraper. Hang on, I'll take a picture---There ya go ;D I like it because I have arthritis in my thumbs and a cabinet scraper does me in.

Ah, similar to a standard scraper with a holder. I use a scraper I made out of an old circular saw blade. It is thick enough it doesn't bend at all, unlike a regular card scraper. Instead of a bend, I put a radius on one edge (the edge has an arc to it instead of a straight line) and it presents to the wood very similar to the card scraper when it is bent a bit. Mine is way easier on the fingers because all I have to do is drag it on the wood instead of forcing the bend at the same time.

Mark

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 01:57:28 pm »

What is a Torges type scraper? Have you ever measured how much wood you are taking off with a caliper? Why would counting the trips to the tree matter to anything? 1" of draw length for each scraping session doesn't sound like too much to me if you are trying to knock weight off.

Mark
I was just counting my trips to the tree, 'cos my guess is that a lot of newbies don't do enough checking or exercising the bow.
One guy I was helping, just got hypnotised by the soothing process of using a spokeshave... left to his own devices he'd have gone right through the limb ;D :o ::)
In my vids, I just show how I do it... I'm always at pains to say there are other ways, gotta find what works for you :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 02:55:01 pm »
On the long string I alternate a surform or rasp with a scraper-like tool. Once I string the stave for the first time I use only a scraper-like tool. No aggressive removal tool. I count the strokes...usually 20-25 and then check tiller.

I exercise the stave 10-15 times at short pulls  to let the wood removal register.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 04:47:48 pm »
If I need to take off 10-15 pounds and the limbs are pretty straight I use the 4x36 sander or disc sander. It’s just wood that needs to be removed. I’m lazy and have a sander. I also use scraper from planer blade, French curve scraper if need be, not picky about how it comes off . Arvin   
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 06:00:31 pm »
If I was working on a bow of lower weight and less material I'd just be sanding instead of scraping, especially if it was overall reduction.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 06:45:31 pm »
What PatM said. Taught myself a few costly lessons final tillering lightweight bows especially kids bows.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges