Author Topic: I have a theory  (Read 2409 times)

Offline sleek

I have a theory
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:30:27 am »
So a buddy of mine and I were talking a few years back about what the ideal stave would be like. We kinda settled in in one that was naturally deflexed handle and reflexed limbs. Ring structure would allow for there to be a solid thick ring on the back, thin rings with lots of early wood in the middle to dop mass, and a thick solid ring for the belly.

Well I got one and im wondering about it. Would the pithy early wood thats concentrated in the middle likely cause failure in sheer? Should I try to get that early wood dead center of the bow, more towards the back or more towards the belly? I dont have to have the early wood in there at all, I can chase a few rings and stay above it or go below it. I just dont wanna miss an opportunity that will probably never come again.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: I have a theory
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:31:39 am »
Here's the lay out I have in mind. As you can see I have 2 rings to choose for the back that will adjust where in the bow that early wood is.

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:17:50 am »
I'm not sure there sleek. I think I would put that soft stuff towards the back and have at least two solid rings for the belly. Providing the back is flawless, anyway. I have noticed that most of my faster bows are of super dense osage that can be made quite narrow. I feel that that is where the real weight/strength ratio lies.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:31 am »
I'd go with the first ring or 2 under the sapwood and not worry about the rest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:05:56 am »
If you go with Pat there are two bows in there aren't there? Cheap old Don chimes in ;D.
In order to choose the rings for the belly AND back your draw weight would be a crap shoot wouldn't it?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:35:10 am »
Got to agree with COD, looks like you could get 2 bows from that stave!  Don't have enough skill to comment further!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 11:06:40 am »
If you go with Pat there are two bows in there aren't there? Cheap old Don chimes in ;D.
In order to choose the rings for the belly AND back your draw weight would be a crap shoot wouldn't it?

That was my original thought. I really can’t help you with your theory. I usually just go to one of the closest rings and use it. If I think I can split off a belly split I often try it.

You might be right about your theory. Or not. I have know idea about that one. Sorry not much help.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:25:56 pm »
constructing a lam bow with your density theory might have some merit but hoping all the stars align correctly in the finished bow from a natural stave seems dicey.
does your design call for a thickness taper?

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:22:15 pm »
DC, I plan on side tillering... It won't be too much of a crap shoot, im pretty familiar with my design. I should be able to get plenty close.

Willie, it does use a slight thickness taper, but not throughout the entire bow, only part of it.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 03:24:18 pm »
Never thought of side tillering. I've never done that for a whole bow. sounds interesting.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 04:32:46 pm »
I think you should still pop off a belly split...those bottom rings look nice. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 05:44:20 pm »
only one way to know,, make the bow,,  :)

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:14 pm »
I think that I would fallow the ring you want down the side of the stage and to the other end to see if the rings are consistent down the whole thing.
I’ve built a one piece selfbow before that had half again as many rings on one limb vs the other.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:14 pm »
I think that I would fallow the ring you want down the side of the stage and to the other end to see if the rings are consistent down the whole thing.
I’ve built a one piece selfbow before that had half again as many rings on one limb vs the other.

Good advice. I cleaned up both sides of the end of the stave and the rings are fairly consistent,  but do change some.

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 01:54:04 am »
Interesting challenge BUT it won't make any difference.
Some of my very best osage bows have been from paper thin ringed wood.
I really don't think the high proportion of early wood staves are in the least inferior.