Author Topic: New bow measurements  (Read 5412 times)

Offline DC

Re: New bow measurements
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 09:06:22 am »
I don't pull it really fast. It's a hard thing to describe. No where near as hard as starting a chain saw.

Offline scp

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 10:17:34 am »
I don't pull it really fast. It's a hard thing to describe. No where near as hard as starting a chain saw.

Wonderful. That means I don't need to make the pulling any faster than usual drawing. I guess the hand winch can stay and all I need is the automatic release mechanism. I got a pretty good idea from your photos. Thanks.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 12:22:10 pm »
DC do you think bow profile- design may have something to do with difference in draw length speeds?
Arvin

My interest is in being able to add total force draw speeds on different designs. You math guys can laugh or also be interested. If the math would help here’s you chance  to do something way out of my little league . If possible I would be interested in the results. Arvin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:35:17 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 02:43:33 pm »
DC do you think bow profile- design may have something to do with difference in draw length speeds?
Arvin

I'm not sure if I'm understanding. I think there is always going to be a difference in speeds at different DL. I think DL is king for speed. For flight shooting where you're not limited by the 10 gpp thing more enters into it. Maybe the RD design accounts for the amount of speed difference. I've also found that more reflex equals more speed. I know that differs with what others have found so I have no explanation but every time I got a bow to hold more reflex it was faster. Probably I just lucked into a combination that works.

Offline scp

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 03:15:24 pm »
More reflex, more speed; makes perfect sense. You have managed to avoid too much set somehow; probably by using the pre-stressed bamboo backing.

Talking about the draw length, I like to know how you make sure that your automatic release does not allow overdrawing. Thanks.

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 03:22:52 pm »
I agree with the more reflex equals more speed as long as it doesn't take too much set.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 03:35:34 pm »
I think you understand. Let’s say your first arrow at 20” shot 160 FPS . If you added  difference between the next shot at another inch of draw and the 160 FPS would that give you the approximate distance of the arrow??? Then add all together at say 28”. Don’t know that it matters. Real testing at full draw is more accurate. Then there is wind and such. So many variables!!!!!!! I can see why the guys just wanting to build a bow get so wore out with us guys chasing speed !  ;D. Arvin

Never mind after thinking about it that won’t work.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:42:29 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 03:48:16 pm »
I agree with the more reflex equals more speed as long as it doesn't take too much set.

That’s what I think also! The trick is getting more than 2” of tip in front of the handles back unstrung
Without it taking set. Arvin

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 05:10:51 pm »
OK I thought you were having some  problems other than set with too much reflex. I feel better now ;D

Talking about the draw length, I like to know how you make sure that your automatic release does not allow overdrawing. Thanks.

It releases at whatever DL I set it for. It can't overdraw. The trigger hits an adjusteable peg and it goes off.

I think you understand. Let’s say your first arrow at 20” shot 160 FPS . If you added  difference between the next shot at another inch of draw and the 160 FPS would that give you the approximate distance of the arrow??? Then add all together at say 28”. Don’t know that it matters. Real testing at full draw is more accurate. Then there is wind and such. So many variables!!!!!!! I can see why the guys just wanting to build a bow get so wore out with us guys chasing speed !  ;D. Arvin

Never mind after thinking about it that won’t work.
I don't know how to convert speed into yards and have very little experience flight shooting. I haven't been able to find a field.

That’s what I think also! The trick is getting more than 2” of tip in front of the handles back unstrung
Without it taking set. Arvin

The one I'm just finishing is 5 3/4" reflex rested. It shot 202 the other day but I haven't tested it since because it's got wet tung oil on it most of the time.

The proof is going to be if the bow gets to Badger and he can confirm my results. That's what I'm waiting for. Tracking say Aug 11 but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 08:40:45 pm »
Well will he bring it to Wendover if it pass the test??? I want to see one of these speedy bows. No bull just interested to see some flight results. That could maybe work in flight. And possibly get close with 450 gr. broadhead. Arvin

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2020, 12:26:26 am »
   Arvin, the best I can figure is that 170 fps will hit 200 yards. For every 30 fps you add it goes up about 100 yards, so every 10 fps is good for about 30 yards. A 450 grain arrow will go about 7 fps faster than a 500 grain arrow. That could be good for up to about 25 yards or less.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:06 am »
Ok Steve cut thru math quiz and tell me how far you can get 450gr thru a bow shooting 400 gr at 200fps ;D ;D Arvin

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2020, 09:25:06 am »
275 yards?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2020, 09:42:48 am »
Thanks Sleek I better get to work. I wish my bag of tricks was bigger!  :-\. Arvin

Offline sleek

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:20 am »
Arvin, you still shooting your long pyramid design? How fast are you shooting it? Have you made a new one since you last destroyed the distance record?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others