Author Topic: Boom  (Read 1977 times)

Offline DC

Boom
« on: August 02, 2020, 01:32:12 pm »
I know you guys like this stuff ;D ;D I was turning the clamp around on my shooting machine so the fixed jaw was against the back and I grabbed this bow to test it. I'm sure the string was on properly because I had to fiddle with one tip so I double checked. The machine triggers automatically when it reaches 28" so I don't know exactly when this broke. It was right at full draw though. The arrow fell on the floor, never went forward at all. The string ended up on the workbench right in front of the bow. With the belly broken evenly at 8 and 9" from center I guessing the string must have come off and it dry fired. I don't burn my initials in the working portion of the bow any more but I think it was going to break around there anyway. It was a nice bow but that's the name of the game. One less bow to lean against the wall. The Bamboo is still good.

Offline DC

Re: Boom
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:32:45 pm »
More

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:58:22 pm »
Oh no! Which bow was that?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »
I doubt I even posted it. It shot about 185 according to the masking tape label. I'm thinking now that what happened goes like this. I few days ago I broke the nock on my test arrow and replaced it with a new one. It didn't snap on to the string as well as it should. I thought I'd fix it later. I didn't. I think the arrow fell off the string and it dry fired.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 02:35:33 pm »
owwwwwww!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 03:05:37 pm »
One thing about Yew, it sure knows how to go boom ;)

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 04:08:00 pm »
I literally just finished posting in the New Bow Measurements thread about the safety issues of standing next to a fully drawn bow in your shooting machine before I opened this thread up. Glad to hear you are ok and only a bow was harmed in the making of this thread.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:02:35 pm by mmattockx »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
It broke right the fade, highest strain area on any bow. Could it have given way there due to grain runoff on the yew or the strain at the handle, ie. bending too much there?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 05:32:16 pm »
I don't think so Pat. With the Boo back still intact it looks for all the world like someome bent it backward until it came apart. The breaks are 17" apart. It was not one of my best builds. It's fairly old for my stuff, at least two years because the boo is one piece. It looks like I got it below weight and ground the whole belly off and glued a 1/4" strip on it. Then I screwed up again and put an 1/8" belly on that time. Then it worked but it was such a dog's breakfast it just went on the shelf. It didn't break near the end of a lam and all the glue joints are solid. It's nice straight grained yew. Dunno. I'm still going with a dry fire because the arrow fell off or possibly the string pulled of the pin nock. I'm think the arrow fell off because it just fell on the floor, never went anywhere.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 09:48:16 pm »
In the past a broken string (or a slipped string?) on a yew bow was considered  a recipe for a belly fracture.

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 11:50:50 pm »
Those are tension breaks. That is a shame but you live and learn :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 02:32:20 am »
"The Bamboo is still good."
...that's a classic bowyers take on it.... ;D ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:14 am »
Those are tension breaks. That is a shame but you live and learn :)
The thing is I know I checked the string on both tips and I've shot the bow on my machine before. The string was intact. I don't know what happened so in this case I didn't learn anything. I remain puzzled.

Offline scp

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 10:26:20 am »
I guess it can be called a reverse tension break. The bow was pulled backward too much and/or too fast, causing the tension break of the belly. What kind of string did it have?

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 10:37:09 am »
Fast Flight