Author Topic: Dutch elm disease  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Dutch elm disease
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:03:31 am »
Since i was running low on wood im looking for nice trees and what kept my eye is that most of the infected elm appears to be either rock or winged elm. Annyone else noticed the same? Could it have something to do with the way their rough bark catches more dust or water?

Offline pumarchery

Re: Dutch elm disease
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:07:58 am »
Idk, maybe that's a coincidence, but I do know people are still researching the disease a bit, you might be able to scrounge up some papers about it with Google.

One thing tho for us bowyers;  ccording to Woodfever (Houtkoorts) by Jan van der Veen, Dutch elm disease does not impede bowworthy-ness/ ability of the wood, u can use the wood that others (like the forest control people) might otherwise have cut or discarded because it's a Dutch elm diseased tree n make a bow of if.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:57:59 am »
Thats a good thing, spotted a few with still leaves on them and also a few healthy ones , pipe straight house tall ones about 10 inch diameter at the base without branches.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:23:14 am »
I realise that it may be a minor point but if you have the opportunity to leave the healthy ones they may help the recovery of the Elm. Take the sick ones.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 10:50:12 am »
I was think in the way that i should harvest them before they will suffer from a bad disease

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 11:13:15 am »
I agree with DC, but you should consult with the local foresters either way.  Puma has a good point, as well.  Maybe Gifford can weigh in on this, too.  Cull the infected Rees before the disease spreads. But if the wood is still good, use it!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:44:14 am »
Did I read somewhere that most Elms are disease free until they reach a certain size?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 12:47:06 pm »
Years ago Dutch Elm disease killed all the elm around here. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!