Author Topic: My dumbest mistake yet!  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Badger

My dumbest mistake yet!
« on: August 15, 2020, 11:18:08 am »
   I built two bows last week, both boo backed yew recurves.  The first one took a bit more set than I wanted so I built a second one with a few changes, shorter handle and fades and a little less reflex to start.

The second one I was pretty happy with so I figured I was good to go for this years broadhead bow. Every time I looked at these bows they appeared to have taken more set than I originally measured. At first I thought I must have measure wrong so I didn't think much of it but as each day went by it kept getting worse. This morning I checked them again and there was no mistaking that they were taking on set just sitting! The first one went from 2" reflex to 1/2" follow. The second one went from 3" reflex to 1" reflex so far and I expect tomorrow it will be even worse.

I sat there scratching my head for about 5 minutes before the light went on. I had a complete senior moment. I had completely ignored the fact that I had steamed these limbs and then glued them up and finished them while still wet. As they dry they dry on the outside first shrinking on the outside I assume. Not sure what is going to happen when the inside finally dries. I can't believe I zoned out like that. I guess it is time I have top admit to myself I am now a senior citizen and allow myself a bit more thinking time!

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: My dumbest mistake yet!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:32:46 am »
Got to start making a list and checking it twice!  Measure twice before measuring twice, then " Cut once!"  Welcome to the "old guy club"! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
Rule number one--don't rush :D I break it all the time and it usually bites me.

Did you glue in any reflex or steam it all in?

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 11:39:00 am »
Rule number one--don't rush :D I break it all the time and it usually bites me.

Did you glue in any reflex or steam it all in?

On the second one I glued in a couple inches. If I can quickly round up another chunk of yew I still have time to do one more.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:07:47 pm »
I just measured the Boo OS which has been drying for a few days and it did the same thing, only about 1/4" of reflex loss but all it's done is dry. It lost 1 gram in 3-4 days.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:26:33 pm »
Steve, can you clamp them back in the form and let them dry more? Maybe they will hold a little reflex or at least be flat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:39:02 pm »
Steve, can you clamp them back in the form and let them dry more? Maybe they will hold a little reflex or at least be flat.

Exactly what I am planning to do. Just going to lash them down with some blocks under the ends

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 01:50:10 pm »
Are you thinking that was the cause of most of the set?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 01:51:14 pm »
It's ok to think fast... but usually better to make bows slow.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 02:04:40 pm »
Are you thinking that was the cause of most of the set?

I think so Don, funny thing was before I cut up the block of yew I was careful to check the moisture. But after I steamed it for some reason moisture never crossed my mind again. I made another mistake on the same bow that worked out ok. After I bans sawed the limbs out of the block I always flatten them on the sander. I completely forgot to flatten them. As it worked out the bandsaw cuts were nice and straight and I ended up with flawless glue lines anyway but it could have been a real problem.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »
One of the reasons I much prefer dry heat for reflexing

Depending on the glue you could clamp them down on a form belly side up and use dry heat.  Risky but...........
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 04:06:28 pm »
I think the lightly dry heat will help them return to normal,,but never tried it,, so if it blows up I didnt say that,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 04:26:13 pm »
One of the reasons I much prefer dry heat for reflexing

Depending on the glue you could clamp them down on a form belly side up and use dry heat.  Risky but...........

I used smooth on so it will take some heat. Nothing to loose

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »
Probably best to do that outside and wear goggles and a safety helmet  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 09:23:30 pm »
I recently took a $125 osage stave down to one ring on the back then took it over to the bandsaw to remove some of the belly and cut in the thicker handle. I was 2/3 of the way done when I realized I was removing the back and had ruined the stave. Don’t feel too bad Steve.