Author Topic: Self Hickory Recurve Stained with Flowers, and Build-Along Video  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Santanasaur

Here’s a recent one, from a split stave I cut early this year. The bow draws a little over 40# at 28”. It’s 60” ntn and about 1” at the widest.  I heat treated with a silicone strip and stained with various wild and garden flowers. The arrow pass is cherry bark, and there’s one in birch bark on the other side. The string is fast flight and the grip is veg tan leather, tooled with antler tines and  stained with the same flowers.

I also put together a build along video here https://youtu.be/ye4GqWDGRak.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:27:18 am by Santanasaur »

bownarra

Re: Self Hickory Recurve Stained with Flowers, and Build-Along Video
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:34:31 am »
That is a lovely bow :) Great tiller and unstrung profile.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 07:53:18 am »
Excellent bow, excellent execution. For a 60", 1" wide hickory recurve to end up flat is a salute to your bow building ability. Well done.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:15 am »
1" wide..!!! that right there is impressive...where are you located ,humidity wise?... gut

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 12:04:06 pm »
Thanks guys. The bow did take a little set, about 1/2” per limb. It only  sits flat since it started with a slight amount of reflex. It was a really  good piece of hickory, dense fat rings with a low early wood ratio.

Its pretty  humid where I am in western mass, so  I was aggressive with humidity management in the hot box. Beyond that I also did a couple slow and deep heat treats  with a  silicone heating strip. the  back is slightly trapped too

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 02:31:23 pm »
Beautiful bow and really enjoyed your build along. Excellent execution on both the video and bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:25:26 am »
Cant wait to see the maple bow completed!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:27:54 am »
Great bow. I really enjoyed your video too. I like your approach to staining the bow with vegetable pigments. I can attest that lily pollen makes a strong stain. 

Seriously dude, step away from the drawknife catalog:) Just kiddin, you can never have too many drawknives.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 10:38:49 am »
beautiful congrats :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 11:05:38 am »
Wow! That is a beautiful bow with an excellent tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 07:27:05 pm »
Beautiful bow and video. I am curious to learn more about how you use a silicone pad to heat treat. How long do you leave the pad against the bow for? What pad do you buy?

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 06:14:16 am »
I use the silicone pad pretty similarly to how I would coals or the heat gun. the advantage is mostly in labor saving. According to the thermostat on the device, which I wouldn’t trust at all, I use it at around 200-250 f.

I’ll tinker with the temperature and time as needed, this  bow got around 220 on the dial for 45 minutes per limb, and I did that twice during tillering. Every 10 minutes or so I move the strip around.  Any areas that scorch or are  are going too fast get a scrap wood as a spacer  to buffer the heat.

The one I’m using in the video is a briskheat  3”*24” which is sold as a metal pipe thawing tool, but it was recommended to me by a luthier. I don’t really  recommend it though.  I bought it refurbished for $25 on a sale but haven’t been able to find it again at that price. Now it’s often sold in the hundreds which seems ridiculous since it’s made pretty poorly. There are much more affordable options on ebay for guitar side bending strips. You’re not really supposed to use them directly on the wood but I’ve been getting better results with the off label method.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 06:24:05 am »
Yes very nice
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 06:30:10 am »
Spot on looking tiller there. Thats a keeper!
Mike

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 09:15:00 am »
Very nice looking bow.  I like your grip work.
1’—>1’