Author Topic: Takedown R/D - First bow  (Read 1602 times)

Offline BrandonH

Takedown R/D - First bow
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
I thought it would be interesting to try a takedown bow.  The limbs are osage with hickory backing with walnut wedges and tips.  They have about 1.5" reflex after shooting a few dozens arrows.  The riser limb beds are deflexed 5 degrees and is made of cherry with poplar and african mahogony inlay.  Came out a bit slower than I hoped but I do have a bit of unneeded string weight (more dacron strands than required).  But it shoots nicely!

72" NTN
42#
150 FPS with 525 grain arrow

Offline pumarchery

Re: Takedown R/D - First bow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:18 am »
A beauty! I know some bowyer wanting to do a similar thing with detachable limbs, if you do not mind me asking, in what manner did you attach the limbs? Any tips to prevent cracks ? Sorry if this is out of the blue, but your post made me think of them so I immediately remembered your thread. Anyhow, much good shooting to you, those specs are very decent for a first bow! :OK

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:24:34 am »
Wrote an article for PA on how to make one of these about 15 years ago

Nice bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:55:54 am »
I agree Marc he did a good job on that bow. I want to see unstrung profile.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BrandonH

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 09:16:20 am »
A beauty! I know some bowyer wanting to do a similar thing with detachable limbs, if you do not mind me asking, in what manner did you attach the limbs? Any tips to prevent cracks ? Sorry if this is out of the blue, but your post made me think of them so I immediately remembered your thread. Anyhow, much good shooting to you, those specs are very decent for a first bow! :OK

I attached the limbs with the kit from Bingham Projects.  I felt the pins were a bit short, but they did work on another riser.  For this riser I used some spare bolts and washers I had laying around for the attachment closer to the limbs tips. 

As far as cracks in the riser, the bending moment is pretty severe on a riser.  Reinforcement should be continuous on the back of the riser.  That is to say continuous wood grain as opposed to exposed end grain (even if the contour cut into the riser is mild).  And it goes without saying the material should be thick enough that the riser itself is not flexing.  All that being said, please keep it in the context that I have only built two risers :)  This riser (fingers crossed) has shown no issues. 

The other riser I mentioned above did start to crack when it was as shown in the first picture below.  Note that back laminated veneers barely extended beyond the lower laminations and exposed end grain.  It cracked at the leading edge as indicated.  The limbs on that bow were heavier and recurve, so the demand on the riser was greater.  And yeah they were fi***gla** but we'll ignore that...

I repaired that riser as shown in the second picture, and it has been holding up without sign of issue for several hundred shots thus far. 

As far as the belly side, I made no particular efforts to reinforce it as seen from the final pic.

Hope that helps, but if I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 10:33:03 am »
 Pic of Entire bow laying on its side. Again very nice work. I thought I punched the limits in on primitive. Arvin

Offline BrandonH

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 06:16:27 pm »
I agree Marc he did a good job on that bow. I want to see unstrung profile.  Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:12:21 pm »
Well done . Arvin