Author Topic: braintan shirt and leggings done  (Read 8101 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: braintan shirt and leggings done
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 08:10:27 am »
Your moccasins look good. There is a ton of work into everything you made and you should be proud of how everything turned out. Nice job on everything. Pockets ( At Least for me, You do not know how much you miss them until you do not have any).

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 10:24:16 am »
thank you... one reason I made the leggings... I can wear shorts under them and have pockets... not too mention easy on easy off..even with pants... so I'll be trying them out during colder weather too... thanks again.. I got 7 skins left to make some other stuff ..after season is over haha... gut aka Kirk

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 10:33:24 am »
as for the smokey smell that they have ..BTW I love it.. the deer have not busted me yet..knocking on wood as I type..haha.. I let a fawn ( no biggie) and a small 8 point walk already... neither picked up my scent.. 8 point walked across my trail in and didn't even slow down headed my way.. the moccs are so silent its incredible...that was a win IMO.. I spotted a coyote about 60 yards up hill on way to stand.. it was headed away.. I started squeaking like a mouse and he came to within 20 yards.. got away before I could get a shot off but was a great sign to me..BTW I don't use any scent killer and this was after work....bucks are getting frisky here.. had 3 sparring at the house the other morning.....gut

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 08:17:51 pm »
Here is full outfit .. love it

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 11:48:07 pm »
That is a very nice outfit!!  Might send some tenderfoot pilgrim into shock! >:D (lol). Fit in right well at RonnyVoo!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 02:27:01 am »
that's really awesome !!
great job.

...and camouflage is almost perfect as long as you hunt in that room  (lol)

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 08:27:28 am »
no idea why pic is rotated... and no idea how to fix... gut...

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 07:56:21 am »
got my first buck wearing my braintan outfit..respectable 8 pt.. not huge ... it is incredible how I have had deer react to my presence this year..nothing like seasons prior wearing traditional clothing.. I had 3 bucks under me Sat. morning one was a 17 1/4 wide 8 pt .. decided to take him.. after the shot the deer scooted off about 20 yards and then came back... 8 ran down hill but the 6 and 4 came back and feed for another 20 minute... I waited another 20 min and started to climb down. I was 8 ft off ground in the wide open and those rascals came back and got under me again... when they got about 20 yards off I went ahead and slowly climbed down.. the tall lil six just stood there and watched me pack up .. he never ran.. but fed up hill away... I've had mama does spot me moving and try their best to get me to move and end up feeding right by me again.. even go downwind to try to figure out what the heck I am... my thoughts since I've had numerous encounters now is this... HUGE advantage to hunting in this outfit... HUGE...  I believe it is a combination of the fringe breaking up silhouette of a human and the smokey smell covering my scent.. its almost feels like cheating at this point... LOL.. gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 08:42:18 am »
Gut, those buck skins don't reflect light like cotton and poly cloth cloths do. Probably looks pretty natural to deer and other animals.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 08:57:09 am »
 well learn something new everyday... thanks Pat

Offline bassman

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 01:22:26 pm »
Nice, but it looks like you should be holding a muzzle loader. I like the whole outfit.

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 02:07:24 pm »
outfit is versatile then bassman... lol... just blends with anything...gut

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 09:10:24 pm »
Looks great!  I bet your head ain't gonna freeze in that hat.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 11:44:43 pm »
Btw, I found my pattern for a "frontier shirt". It is in a box in the shop, I will try to re-find it and post the source.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

gutpile

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 07:38:19 am »
as for a pattern I took a long sleeve camo shirt I had and just un seamed it laid it out on skins flat I masked taped around the pattern.. front ,back and arms.. literally took me 2 months to get the courage to put the scissors to it..LOL...I'm over that now..I'll cut a skin now without a two month stare down..LOL... when I sewed it I added some of the left over pieces for the fringe.my left over pieces were the skin edge so they are different lengths .. which IMO look more authentic than all being equal...just cut your fringe after you sew it... I then wet fringe and pulled it some and twisted in reverse twist style four pieces at a time and let dry. this is only if you want a twisted fringe which I did and I like it much better.. after drying I untwist and pull and they came out perfect, they will be a lil stiff you work some and eventually they get soft again and lay perfect.... you can put fringe where ever you want at any seam.... I wanted arms and around shoulders where arms meet a mix of mountain man and Indian style.... shirt fits perfectly like it was tailor made.. well I guess it was..LOL... as for leggings..I had a pair of chaps that I used for a pattern and shrunk them a lil since they were larger than I wanted.. sewed in fringe at seam all way down.. you can easily trim the length down leg easier rather than adding  but I left them all way.. soon as the season is done I am going to do another outfit .. skins are already done.. gut