Author Topic: Some nock viewing pleasure  (Read 11492 times)

sagitarius boemoru

Some nock viewing pleasure
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:03:35 pm »
Just for those who make them. Notice the edge being thin, withouth dings and square to axis of the intended bowtip. Just regular cow.

As you can see, I cut the grooves when I put the nock on the stave, not before, to have good idea of necessary angles, but I make good surfaces and polish before I do, because the grove can be made withouth damaging the rest and by grinding and polishing the horn when its glued on the bow, the bow gets damaged, the polish gets smeared into wood grain etc. and its ugly.
This is for 125# yew bow I m making.  I have another pair with more interesting texture, and collor, I post pics in a while.

Jaro

stevesjem

Re: Some nock viewing pleasure
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:30:54 pm »
Some nice looking nocks there Jaro, you definately do good work mate, hope to see you soon.

Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »
Very nice nocks. What do you use to cut the internal tapers? Could you post a pic, or better yet, could you do a nock build-along?

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:38:16 pm »
Oh Steve, long time no see. How are the things going  in the england ?

I just bought a house in the country, since I was sacked from my workshop, so I thought it was time to move.

So I m all bussy. Theres work to do. I also have new job.

Jaro

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:48:43 pm »
I use flat carpenter bit 16 mm. That is longer  and bogger diameter that I need and It allows me to drill most diamateres both for sporting bows and warbows and still have good cone

This shows the tip of the bow worked down to fit in the horn. You can see there is no gap around. But this is only try out without glue, the horn is ground and polished nailed hard on plywood fake bowtip, which can be destroyed and doesnt matters.

Now some grinding and buffing and fitting

I would definitelly be better without that concave area next to nock, but this was one of bows I used to learn how to do it and I use slightly different fitting technique than back then.

Jaro

nick1346

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:16:07 pm »
Very nice Jaro, very nice indeed!

stevesjem

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:04:21 am »
Oh Steve, long time no see. How are the things going  in the england ?

I just bought a house in the country, since I was sacked from my workshop, so I thought it was time to move.

So I m all bussy. Theres work to do. I also have new job.

Jaro

Hi Jaro, Things are real busy here as well mate, loads of bows to make, tests to do etc, i off to Italy next week with Mark Stretton and a few others to pick up some more yew, it sounds like you have also been busy, good luck with your new house etc, when are you next in England?

Steve

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 06:10:16 am »
I think I wont be able to make it this year, but I try hard next year to go there.

Jaro

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:26:26 pm »
These horn nocks you make Jaro are AMAZING my friend!! 8)...
You surelly do an impressive work on your bows, whatever the style is...

Ah, all the best at your new home!!..;)...and donīt get too busy with that, ya know, it is not very good to work too much!!..;)...

Cheers fellow...

Asier. 
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »
Whatīs the bow these cool and creamy nocks you shalll put on??

Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 04:56:06 am »
Hahaha, its one I have in making. But as I laid it out it still more like 140# and the chap only can do 90#, so I will have to make the stave more narrow and get decent bend (again) before I put these on.

Jaro

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 09:06:33 am »
Very nice Jaroslav.  When I make mine I get the edges that thin as well.  I try to remove more horn from above the string groove though to keep their weight down.  Steve said one nock was too thin on the Yew bow I sent him and had to remove it but they both looked good to me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:44:45 am »
Yes it happens to me too, that they arrive as thin crust. But the part part where horn meets the wood tells.

Jaro

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
Are you able to get those horn nocks that glossy with sandpaper?
It seems no matter how fine I go with the sand paper they are still a bit dull until I put a finish on.

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »
As I wrote: "some buffing"  I use rug wheel and blue polishing compound. But you do all these things before the nocks go on the bow and you dont put finish over the nocks unless its natural wax/oil polish. If you lacquer the nocks it
a) somehow beats reasons to have them on bow and spending time to make them nice
b) it starts to flake off sooner and later and its fugly

J.