Author Topic: String alignment corrections  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Kidder

String alignment corrections
« on: September 17, 2020, 07:22:12 pm »
Hi all! Question on string alignment corrections. Stave with a significant jog in the lower limb such that it causes the string to not bisect the center of the handle. Should I do the alignment correction at the obvious jog in the limb or at the handle riser? Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String alignment corrections
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 08:42:07 pm »
Will you post pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:53:25 pm »
The jog occurs near the middle of the lower limb. It would make sense to correct the area of the jog, but everything I’ve seen and read talks about heating the riser area.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 08:22:03 am »
Start off by leaving the handle full width and the nocks wide to make adjustments after the first stringing of the stave. Then post a photo and we can discuss what to do.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:24:40 am »
The string does not need to bisect the middle of the handle.  Leave it as is and choose the orientation that allows the string to run closer to the arrow pass side.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 11:03:25 am »
The string does not need to bisect the middle of the handle.  Leave it as is and choose the orientation that allows the string to run closer to the arrow pass side.
That’s a great idea, but it’s too late for that on this one as I got antsy with the rasp and added a rough shelf already.
Really the only issues are “where” to do the bending and possibly “when” but I’d like to do that sooner rather than later for a variety of reasons. Thanks.

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 11:27:43 am »
dry heat can easily correct that ..Jawge has a great comment to string bow first and post a pic... just looking at what you have shown seems an easy fix though..gut

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 11:31:31 am »
Sometimes they are not as bad strung as you think they will be, so I agree that you should get to the point of stringing it before deciding.  (Also,  keeping in mind that it can be hard to judge, you may move it more than needed if you do it now.)  I have had better luck steaming the handle and correcting things that way, and it seems to me that's what I would do with yours, since it is not a sudden dogleg but more of a slow curve.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »
So I will get it to low brace and then regroup on it. Let’s assume that it is a sudden dogleg (because it really is, despite what the picture shows) - just wanting to know if the correction will need to be made at the dogleg or at the handle? Thanks!

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 12:52:30 pm »
I would do it at the dogleg....however you decide...make sure bow has chance to re hydrate or dry depending on method of correction...gut

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 01:55:36 pm »
Because you've already reduced the thickness it makes it tougher to bend sideways. Wood would rather bend in the thinnest direction. Just be careful to clamp it so it can only go sideways and watch it doesn't twist.

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 05:28:34 pm »
the bottom line is how will it shoot and what can you do to make it shoot better.
As Don points out, an adjustment at the handle might be easier, and if you need to make an additional adjustment after the bow is tillered out, then the handle is more easily adjusted then also.

basically, your goal is to keep the bow from torquing when the arrow is released from full draw, so a lot depends on grip design and how it fits your hand

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06:04 pm »
I can't remember who posted this photo, but a similar setup worked well for me on a hackberry bow I am working on.  That is the only time a lateral bend has worked for me - it was nearer to the end than yours (I do see the dogleg now!). 

Offline Kidder

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 10:17:12 pm »
I can't remember who posted this photo, but a similar setup worked well for me on a hackberry bow I am working on.  That is the only time a lateral bend has worked for me - it was nearer to the end than yours (I do see the dogleg now!).
That’s a way better jig than the block jig I built - thanks for sharing!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 10:47:08 pm »
Wet the cloth to prevent the back from scorching ..
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.