Author Topic: My first adult bow made for me...  (Read 4378 times)

Offline ssrhythm

My first adult bow made for me...
« on: October 13, 2020, 02:16:13 pm »
I started into this two years ago and have produced two kids bow for my two young boys and two adult bows for a buddy and my dad.  I've had a couple of failures due to a splinter popping around a knot that I did not leave enough wood around and due to a brain-fart stringing malfunction.  The bow I made for my buddy was to get Karma back on my side, and the bow I made for my dad was one that I made way lighter than I intended.

I pulled down my best stave that was ready to be worked...it was wide, deep, and flat on the back with great growth rings.  After chasing the ring I was after, I realized the back was an undulating heap of character.  When reducing the bow to the dimensions I drew, I realized that side checking from initially drying the stave too fast in the dry Wyoming weather was likely going to make the stave a no-go.  I was able to get close to the width dimensions I wanted, but I lost a bunch of depth at the handle because of the side checking, and the stave gave me what it gave me...a twisting, undulating bunch of ugly.  I kept at it, and eventually tillered it out to a 59# at 28" sweet shooting selfbow.  After 300+ shots, it had taken a bit of set and settled into 57# at 28".  I finished it with bear grease, tuned some cane arrows to it, and took it hunting.  On my second trip out, I found myself on the ground 22 yards from a 140-150" whitetail that was broadside.  I was shocked, as I did not think this little spot held any big bucks.  There was snow on the ground, and it was dead calm.  The deer caught me drawing and stopped...he hit the ground at the release and whirled a 180 fast enough to get his skull in front of my 600+ grain arrow.  The deer, by all indications, is alive and well, but during the tracking/searching period that followed, I dinged the back of the bow with barbed wire or a sharp rock.  It looked like I would pop a splinter at the violation, so I degreased the bow with a lye bath, backed it with rawhide and prairie rattler skins, and hastily finished with 8 layers of turoil...so I could get back to the woods with it.  After re-sanding and finishing, the bow was 48# @ 28" so I recurved the tips a bit more and got it to 53# @ 28".   I'm happy with how it turned out, although I liked it better as a self-bow.  It shoots smooth and quiet and will definitely kill if I do my part. 

Fire away with advice on tiller, finish, design...whatever; I'm here to learn.  Thanks, Eric
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:34:10 pm by ssrhythm »

Offline ssrhythm

Re: My first adult bow made for me...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 02:18:41 pm »
More pics
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:33:19 pm by ssrhythm »

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 02:19:49 pm »
And, more pics...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:33:44 pm by ssrhythm »

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 02:20:55 pm »
Last Pics...

Please see the pics I posted toward the end of this thread...I figured out how to get them to show up and not be so terribly skewed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:35:08 pm by ssrhythm »

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 02:26:08 pm »
Wow!  Pics are super distorted and do not show the dimensions of the bow.  Any advice on posting pics that actually look like the pics I took will be greatly appreciated.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 02:33:58 pm »
Test:

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 03:18:19 pm »
I'd be very proud of that bow, looks good. I can't give you any advise so that'll have to come from someone with actual experience but I like it.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 04:03:45 pm »
Looks great! Nice tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:43 pm »
that hole right there.... didnt know you could get a natural sight!!! i kid i kid!! nice bow man!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 05:52:02 pm »
I think you did a phenomenal job. I really like it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 07:43:08 pm »
Really nice work on a challenging stave! Great story as well, I hope you catch up again with that big buck!
Cheers,
Taylor

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 09:03:09 pm »
Really nice work on a challenging stave! Great story as well, I hope you catch up again with that big buck!
Cheers,
Taylor

I've got one more day to hunt that spot, then the season shifts to another zone that I have little access in and poor cell service in...I'm on call 24/7 until March 1, so this afternoon and tomorrow were/are pretty much it for me this year with the bow.  Of course, I opted to be lazy and take pics of my bow and post them on here thinking that I'd save myself for an dawn to dark sit tomorrow when its supposed to be a tad cooler.  About an hour after posting this thread, my phone buzzed... :o :( ::)my hiding spot is about 5 yards to the right of my camera location...this is the first time these bucks have showed themselves in daylight.  Maybe they will repeat it tomorrow.  Doh!

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 01:12:29 am »
Well done! Great  looking bow with plenty of personality

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 05:28:24 pm »
This past Sunday, I shot a sandhill crane, went to a new church, ran into a gentleman who let me turkey hunt on his place this spring, and got permission to turkey and deer hunt there this fall.  His place has deer in the river bottom. Because I'm on call 24/7 until I get a new partner in March, I have to have cell service and be within 20 minutes of work, and there is no service in that bottom.  Season closed where I could bowhunt with service, so I picked up the rifle and sat on a ridge top overlooking the bottom where I would have loved to have been perched with my bow.
After 3 hours of glassing the thick where I thought a buck should be, another hunter entered the river bottom about 1200 yards to my north and started still hunting away from me along the river.  The wind was swirling severely down in there, and it took about 10 minutes for the hunters scent to make it south to the spot in front of me and get a big boy on his feet.  He eased his head and neck out of the thick trying to pinpoint the danger before committing to going anywhere, and I was just lucky to be in the one spot that he was exposed to.  While it was a rifle kill, it still shook me up good.  I have not hunted with a rifle in years, so from 200 yards up on the ridge, I didn't realize how big he was.  I experienced my first case of ground growage, as I walked up and looked down on a 158 2/8 300lb toad-slob!  The next morning, I filled my turkey tag with a nice jake and a half. (is it copasetic to post non trad dead animal pics?)

I figure while I'm on a hot streak of good luck, I'm going to try to enter my bow in the BOTM contest.  So, I apologize for any repeat pictures, but the pics I posted were terribly warped.  I've resized them in hopes they post correctly on here.  Thanks, Eric
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:47:25 pm by ssrhythm »

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 05:50:02 pm »
lets see if these work

nope!