Author Topic: Deer fat for grease?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Deer fat for grease?
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:52 pm »
I rendered some bear fat last year for bow sealing grease.  I just killed a huge, very fatty whitetail, and when I was skimming him snd processing the meat, I could not throw any of the abundant fat/Tallis away.  I have a large bag full of this fat, but I’ve never heard of anyone rendering deer to get deer grease for bow sealing.  Can I render this like bear for bow sealant?  How do y’all use your deer fat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deer fat for grease?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:41:44 pm »
I have some deer tallow soap that John Halverson sent me.   -C-  Deer fat should work just fine for what you want it for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 10:11:23 pm »
I have rendered deer fat - cut it up into smallish chunks (probably the same way you did the bear fat).  I mixed mine about 50/50 with beeswax.  It's pretty hard, so maybe more fat/less wax would be better, but it works great when you soften it up a bit in the sun (or with a heatgun). 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:33:20 am »
I rendered a bunch of it last year, done it just like any other kind of fat. Turned out great. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 09:21:27 am »
Great.  Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:58 am »
I've made leather dressing/conditioner with deer fat(and bear) with a little bees wax and pine pitch. All three of these are compatible with each other when blended with heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC