Author Topic: White ash build along.  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: White ash build along.
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2020, 05:59:31 pm »
Thanks guys it’s been a fun build. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2020, 06:23:17 pm »
Awesome bow Arvin! Now I need to step up my ash bow standards after seeing yours. Like others have said ash is a roll of the dice wood as far as quality. The fastest one I’ve made to date has huge rings. Pulls in the 50s and is about 65” long and the limbs are only 2 rings till the handle. Good early to late wood ratio though.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2020, 07:58:12 am »
It looks great Arvin.  Anyone think it might have taken less set if he waited a couple of days, after the heat treat, before bending it?  Just asking... congrats and thanks for the build a long.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline simk

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2020, 08:12:42 am »
Bob: That does not play a role imho. But on the pics it looks like it was heat treated in flat position. If heat treated slightly reflexed the final profile would be dead straight, imho  ;)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2020, 08:24:21 am »
thanks.  I have always waited after heating wood thinking it needed to to equalize before working it.  When I use to work more white wood, I even kept it in a hot box between tillering sessions due to our (Arkansas) high humidity.  I do always heat in some reflex too... just like Gary Davis taught us many years ago at MoJam.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bassman

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2020, 09:06:06 am »
Looks like you had a good piece of Ash. No pun intended.Around here they die standing.Elm isn't real healthy either, but we have tons of healthy white Oak ,and red Oak, some Hickory, Patches of A   Horn beam,Walnut, Birch, etc. Nice job on that one Arvin.

Offline rps3

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2020, 09:36:14 am »
I cut my teeth on ash but never heat treated back then. I found osage and pretty much left my ash standing in the corner for years. Recently made a few ash  bows pyramid style with a heavy heat treat and was pleasantly surprised at the performance. Now wishing I would have cut more before they all died.

Your ash bow looks great.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2020, 12:12:41 pm »
Thanks for the build along Arvin, great stuff and beautiful bow