Author Topic: That time again!  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

That time again!
« on: November 02, 2020, 10:32:21 pm »
Time to get out and vote!!  If you don't vote, don't  complain about the outcome!  Many of us on here have put in many years defending that right!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mmattockx

Re: That time again!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 10:57:53 pm »
If you don't vote, don't  complain about the outcome! 

Alternatively, if you do vote you are legitimizing and condoning a rotten, corrupt system and are at least partly responsible for all of the bad outcomes it generates. Those who refuse to participate are the only ones who can legitimately complain because they withheld their consent to be governed by whichever terrible party/leader wins.

>:D

Either way, good luck with it.

Mark

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 12:17:30 am »

Alternatively, if you do vote you are legitimizing and condoning a rotten, corrupt system and are at least partly responsible for all of the bad outcomes it generates. Those who refuse to participate are the only ones who can legitimately complain because they withheld their consent to be governed by whichever terrible party/leader wins.

Mark

What if my wife's and my ballots cancel each other out?  We're net zero on responsibility but still did our part? ;D
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 06:10:59 am »

Mark

Well that's pretty dark but I like it  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 06:38:46 am »
Thanks Hawk. I have 50 years of voting and am proud of it.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 06:43:16 am »
Got a letter from the Election Board that said I was in the top 1% for voting. I'll be going to vote soon, would rather be hunting but you do what you got to do.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 09:26:54 am »
What if my wife's and my ballots cancel each other out?  We're net zero on responsibility but still did our part? ;D

You get it.  :D

Well that's pretty dark but I like it  :)

I just like to point out that there are more ways to view the issue than the usual 'if you don't vote you can't complain' trope. Freedom to vote also means the freedom to not vote if you chose. It's a right, not an obligation.

Mark

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 09:33:19 am »
I sure wish I could vote this election.... but then again, would it do anything ?

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:16:47 am »
Fox, your vote always does something.
Mark, I think of voting as not only a right but an obligation too.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:59:35 am »
Got a letter from the Election Board that said I was in the top 1% for voting.

What does that mean? What would put a person n the bottom 1%? Confused but American politics seems to do that to me :D

PS Actually Canadian politics confuses me too ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:03:44 am by DC »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 09:37:45 am »
I think he was kidding dc
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 12:25:50 pm »
Very likely, he hasn't missed very many elections, at any level.  This one marks 60 years for me at the state/federal level.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 03:05:22 pm »
My first voting was in 1968 and I've voted in every election, Federal, State and Local since and am proud of it.  :OK

Offline gifford

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:59 pm »
I recall my first vote (1970), up in Overgaard AZ (Sitgreaves NF). It was at the non-denominational mission church, two punch card machines and one poll worker. The first time AZ used punch cards. 50 years later, fill in the little box with a black pen, kind of like we had in school. Needless to say, I haven't missed an election since then, voting absentee when I was out of state on assignment. Voting is important, it reinforces our right to bitch. :-)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 10:47:51 pm »
I recall my first vote (1970), up in Overgaard AZ (Sitgreaves NF). It was at the non-denominational mission church, two punch card machines and one poll worker. The first time AZ used punch cards. 50 years later, fill in the little box with a black pen, kind of like we had in school. Needless to say, I haven't missed an election since then, voting absentee when I was out of state on assignment. Voting is important, it reinforces our right to bitch. :-)

Gifford, Off the topic, but I drove from eastern Oklahoma to overgaard az to buy a sawmill. That place is beautiful. I really thought the guy was feeding me a line when he said he cut timber there as I was driving through desert and scrub brush, then it all kind of appeared from nothing.