Author Topic: Merbau short bow not bending very much  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Notnok

Merbau short bow not bending very much
« on: December 13, 2020, 06:34:07 pm »
Hello,

I’ve recently started work on a merbau board bow. It’s really short at just 38 inches but the problem is it’s not bending enough. I’ve tillered it down to 1cm at the fades and at its thinnest it’s about 1/3cm. I’m worried that it’s going to snap before it gets bendy enough to brace and use. Any advice?

2 photos attached

Offline sleek

Re: Merbau short bow not bending very much
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 06:55:58 pm »
Hey, WELCOME to the forum! And a first post of a difficult short bow. I like you already :)

It looks board flat, I dont see evidence of set. Looks good so far. How strong are you wanting to make it, and what draw length? Also how wide is it and do you have pictures of it bending as far as you have pulled it yet?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 06:56:41 pm »
I hope Mo-coon-catcher will see this. Its right up his alley!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 07:02:18 pm »
For a bow that short the overall thickness will likely be closer to 1/4” or less for sure. And that’s if the draw length is like 17”. Looks like it’s pretty far from that. I doubt the thinnest area is 1/3mm. That would be 3.3mm or just over 1/8” thick. If the whole bow were that thickness it would very easily bend.

Offline Notnok

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 07:05:08 pm »
Hey, WELCOME to the forum! And a first post of a difficult short bow. I like you already :)

It looks board flat, I dont see evidence of set. Looks good so far. How strong are you wanting to make it, and what draw length? Also how wide is it and do you have pictures of it bending as far as you have pulled it yet?

27 inches draw length and 30-40lbs draw weight. It seems from pulling on it that it’s going to be much higher than what I intend.

Offline Notnok

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 07:07:46 pm »
For a bow that short the overall thickness will likely be closer to 1/4” or less for sure. And that’s if the draw length is like 17”. Looks like it’s pretty far from that. I doubt the thinnest area is 1/3mm. That would be 3.3mm or just over 1/8” thick. If the whole bow were that thickness it would very easily bend.

The thinnest area is just under 1/2cm on reviewing measurements. Fades are just over 1cm.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 07:09:08 pm »
One obvious strategy is to tiller from the sides of the limbs. Yew short bows were wide because yew is a lighter wood. Looks like the wood you are using is far more dense, so the limbs will end up narrower. Back with rawhide if you are worried the back cannot handle the narrower width.

Offline Notnok

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 07:11:33 pm »
One obvious strategy is to tiller from the sides of the limbs. Yew short bows were wide because yew is a lighter wood. Looks like the wood you are using is far more dense, so the limbs will end up narrower. Back with rawhide if you are worried the back cannot handle the narrower width.

I’m not too worried about the back (for now at least) as it’s got no obvious problems and the grain is straight. I’ve got a splinter that I glued back in, on the belly but that is holding up. I might narrow the width of it.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 07:31:11 pm »
Is a 27” draw from a 38” bow with a stiff handle realistic in any design, or any wood?  Seems to be asking too much to me.

Offline Notnok

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 07:33:09 pm »
Is a 27” draw from a 38” bow with a stiff handle realistic in any design, or any wood?  Seems to be asking too much to me.

Might be right. The way I see it is that I have 2 options, remove the riser and let the handle bend, or I just accept a shorter draw length.

The handle might be uncomfortable if I remove the riser though. Which one should I go with? Or any alternatives?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 07:37:39 pm »
No way that’s making it to 27” draw. Without the handle overlay, max draw should only be 19”. Any more and it’ll be stacking for sure.

Offline Notnok

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 07:42:49 pm »
No way that’s making it to 27” draw. Without the handle overlay, max draw should only be 19”. Any more and it’ll be stacking for sure.

I was being really unrealistic, that would be my full longbow draw length. The distance from slightly below my wrist to the base of my shoulder is about 19". I think I'll go for 19" draw length and 30-40lbs draw weight.

Sounds better?

Offline Notnok

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 07:45:27 pm »

Looking at shortbows from around the world, it seems that most don't have a riser.
I added one because the video I was loosely following also had one.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 07:47:35 pm »
If you remove the riser and it's not comfortable to shoot, you could glue on leather or rawhide.  Either can be added in layers and shaped with a rasp or sandpaper.

Offline Notnok

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:54 pm »
If you remove the riser and it's not comfortable to shoot, you could glue on leather or rawhide.  Either can be added in layers and shaped with a rasp or sandpaper.

Ah well,

I really liked my riser, but this isn't for decoration. I actually want to be able to shoot it.

I'll rasp off my riser now.