Author Topic: Tillering  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Tillering
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 10:01:31 pm »
Good youtube videos on sharpening card scrapers.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 07:55:25 am »
Good youtube videos on sharpening card scrapers.
Yeah, I've watched half a dozen of them and tried to follow their directions.  I'm missing something.  Can't turn a burr to save my life.  I'll keep trying...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 08:40:43 am »
Pappy lays his scrapers on a belt sander on edge to get a flat edge giving 2 sharp corners. I've done it the same some too to speed up the process. It doesn't create a hook but it does give a sharp corner for scraping
 What I do mostly is put the scraper in a vice with one edge up then use a bastard file to flatten that edge. I go from one side, about 5 or 6 runs with the file then go from the other direction. Once I've done this I take a round shank screw driver and rub it back and forth along the corner at about 2 degrees(not very steep at all) to form the hook then go to the other corner and do the same. This gives me 2 good hooks to work with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 02:11:17 pm »
I used to use a screwdriver shank but bought a real scraper burnisher the other day, the results are daylight and dark by comparison.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 03:58:23 pm »
I usually have a pretty set idea of starting dimensions for the bows I make. A lot of wood comes off from these starting dimensions. I will rough out with a hatchet or bandsaw to just over my idea of starting point. At that point I will hog off material quickly with the coarse side of my farriers rasp and half round rasp for the fades. Once bending on the floor about right I switch to the finer side of the rasp till all the coarse marks are out and then switch to scraping. I will use a scraper and sandpaper for all wood removal at this point. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 08:12:39 am »
I do initial shaping with a hatchet. Then continue with a draw knife. After, I use a surform on the long string. Sometimes, I'll alternate a surform with my Swedish push knife as a scraper. Once I string, I only used the push knife as a  scraper to full draw. Jawge.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:35 am »
I sharpen cabinet scrapers as detailed in Hunting the Osage Bow by Dean Torges. I learned how on my first selfbow and never looked back. Goosenecks are a little more challenging due to their shape, but certainly doable. Same process. Mine are about due to be sharpened again.

Sometimes, if they're not too bad you can get away with just rolling the hook again, but other times that doesn't work and you have to perfectly square the edges again on stones, burnish/polish them in, then roll the hook. Still only takes about 10-15 minutes. But true happiness is a freshly sharpened scraper running down an osage bow... or better yet, yew! I just love it.

I use an actual burnisher also, with a drop or two of light oil. In cross section, it's sort of tear drop shaped, with one edge thicker and more rounded than the other. The thinner edge rolls a slightly bigger hook with less pressure.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 09:57:43 am »
depends on what I am tillering.. cedar I tiller with sandpaper..osage I use a cabinet scraper hickory I use a cabinet scraper, Ipe I use a rasp... the woods dictates what I use.. Ipe just dulls my scrapers.. gut

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 01:40:36 am »
I mainly use a mystic scraper...I use it to chase a ring and clean up the back and during tillering.  I’ve tried the gooseneck and other cabinet scrapers, and they seem too flimsy...and I know I didn’t have them sharpened correctly.  I just put the mystic on the belt sander flat on its edge and it sharpens right up.  That said, I don’t see or hear of many people using one, and I’ve been wondering if a well sharpened cabinet scraper is a better option.  Does anyone on here use the mystic scraper or has anyone used it and abandoned it and if so...why? 

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2021, 06:46:46 am »
Thanks for all the replys guys, looks like scraping is the tillering king regardless of what kind of scraper you use.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2021, 07:04:14 am »
I have a Mystik scraper and abandoned it many years ago. The main reason was because it too often would leave little scratches behind in the wood. I never tried sharpening it with a sander though, so maybe that works better. Bernie Swank told me to sharpen it with a file, drawfiling the edge while using it kind of like a burnisher on a regular scraper, so that's what I did. It worked, just left a slightly jagged edge and I prefer them smooth. It is solid though, I'll give ya that. But in my opinion, a well sharpened cabinet scraper is better. If properly sharpened, you shouldn't have to push on it hard enough to flex it. It should cut wood used in one hand with just a finger and thumb.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline TimBo

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2021, 10:25:10 am »
I like my Mystic Scraper.  Admittedly, I have yet to get the hang of sharpening cabinet scrapers.