Author Topic: Tillering  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Tillering
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:15:03 am »
What do you guys use for wood reduction when tillering? I'm trying a shinto rasp and a cabinet scraper but I'm not sure I like it.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline RyanY

Re: Tillering
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:06:50 am »
Mostly a spokeshave and then cabinet scraper. If it's a stave with more character I will use a rasp before the cabinet scraper. If you don't like the cabinet scraper, it's probably not sharp. A well sharpened one can really hog off wood.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:16:41 am »
I use a half pair of scissors with a hook rolled on the edge, then a properly sharpened cabinet scraper and finish up with a $13 palm sander from Walmart.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 07:33:34 am »
After floor tiller I use a #49 Nicholson rasp some but mostly a scraper. This may take a little longer but, for me, it insures I don't over do it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:37:46 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 07:37:21 am »
I am with you Pat, I NEVER put a rasp on the belly of a bow after floor tiller, too many "got in a hurry" hinged limbs in my past.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 07:41:59 am »
Ok guys, I'll stick with scraping. I might try scissors too. Eric do you roll an edge on the back side of the already sharpened side? I felt like the scraper wasn't getting through the rasp marks fast enough. It makes shavings not dust but they are see through they are so thin

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 07:58:40 am »
I just use my knife. It’s usually sharp and works pretty good. The shavings are very thin also. The belt sander is faster but contributes more to my corner of shame. Which is getting pretty full.
The old timers where I grew up worked their handles down with a broken fruit jar. Used like you would a piece of chert it works pretty good but no better than my knife.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 08:08:32 am »
Spoke shave, Draw knives, series of knives,series of rasps,sand paper. After a while you seem to know what tool to use when.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:09:45 pm »
I generally finish up floor tillering with a Nicholson 49. Then begin coming down the tillering tree while using a Nicholson 50 or big double cut bastard file to rough it up, then use the Bowyer's Edge and/or cabinet scrapers to remove those rasp or file marks. As tillering progresses a little further, all file marks are gone, and I use just the Bowyer's Edge and scrapers, maybe using a small file to address any washboarding before it gains a foothold. I do all radiused bellies and establish three distinct belly facets while floor tillering and maintain them until it's largely tillered. As I bring the tiller home, just a few strokes of the scraper and sandpaper finishes it up.

I have a Shinto and tried it a couple times, but it hasn't grown on me yet. Maybe if I continue using it. For now, I like the Nicholsons better.

When actually coming down the tree tillering though, I rarely touch a rasp again. It's generally all Bowyer's Edge and scrapers, with a touch of file work here and there.

There's more than one way to skin this cat.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 01:31:06 pm »
I'll piddle around with it and see how it goes

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 03:36:41 pm »
I like a Shinto file. With one course ans one fine side it should work well for limb reduction. I've noticed thart the fine side does a good job of cleaning up coarse tool marks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 04:23:42 pm »
I use an Accusharp scissors sharpener to roll the hook on my scissors, turn the scissors bevel side up and make a couple of passes with the sharpener at a steep angle, it will make one heck of a hook and cut like crazy. It dulls after an hour or so of scraping but can be retouched very easily.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 07:14:57 pm »
I might have to try that Eric. Pat I'll use the shinto some more and see how I like it

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 07:18:10 pm »
I love using good, sharp cabinet scrapers, but can't sharpen one to save my life.  Must be doing something wrong.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 09:09:14 pm »
i use a wrasp with a light touch, then my knife