Author Topic: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge  (Read 33266 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2021, 01:18:05 pm »
Looking good zugul
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2021, 01:22:30 pm »
Split my stave in two, super clean. Also used my ryobi band saw to reduce one of them to about 2.25" wide.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 01:23:41 pm »
looking at it now I'd say my bow should bend a bit more in the outer 1/2 of the limbs to get a more circular tiller, am I right? Or is it because it's still not at brace height and I'm not bending it that much?

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 01:38:03 pm »
Zugul id string it at a low brace and see how it looks

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 05:55:53 pm »
Zugal, that is kind of what I was thinking, but you're that one who actually sees the stave.  Remember that an even thickness taper is critical.  BTW I now see the reflex/lump that makes the mid left limb look flat.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2021, 02:49:37 pm »
Reduced the stave closer to bow dimensions, pretty rough but I'll use hand tools to get it on the lines when I get a chance.

Offline Fox

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:05 pm »
Looks good ally!
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2021, 08:07:45 am »
looking at it now I'd say my bow should bend a bit more in the outer 1/2 of the limbs to get a more circular tiller, am I right? Or is it because it's still not at brace height and I'm not bending it that much?

You should brace it now at around 3 - 4 inches. The shorter string also pulls the tips 'in' and can make the mid to outer limbs come around a little more. Watch where the bow takes set from now on. tThe location of the set will show you where it is working. Ideally you don't want any set in the inner limbs, a little mid limb and the rest in the mid/outers.
I think it looks really good so far.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2021, 09:30:14 am »
Thank you guys, your advices are very appreciated! I braced it at 3 1/2 "(it was pretty difficult, a lot more then my 44# @ 28" ash bow, so I'd say this one is between 50 and 60# at 28" atm) and just by doing that I can say the top limb is just a bit weaker then the bottom one. I also checked the string alignement and it's not super good... The string passes just out of the handle but in the "right" direction (I'm a leftie so it sits on the right side of the handle). Can this cause problems to the itegrity of the bow or can I just leave it like that? I don't want to ruin the bow trying to fix it  :-\ Anyway, in the next few days I won't be working on the bow, it's getting pretty cold (30-40°F) and rainy so I'll wait for better weather conditions.

Offline Fox

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2021, 11:40:09 am »
Ally, what do you think of your bandsaw? And what size can it cut ? I’ve been really really wanting to get one and I looked them up. Not as expensive as I’d expected.... posting more progress on my end soon...

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:19 pm »
Ally, what do you think of your bandsaw? And what size can it cut ? I’ve been really really wanting to get one and I looked them up. Not as expensive as I’d expected.... posting more progress on my end soon...

For the price I like it. I ripped a piece of ERC yesterday and it was a little too tall on one end so I had to trim it down first. I think height wise it cuts up to 5" or maybe a little bigger and width 9" between the blade and stand. The bigger band saws the blade spin slower but they have more power behind them whereas this one spins faster with less power so it can say it has more horsepower. I've only used it a couple times on stav es but it's cut through hickory pretty well but I don't know about its longevity. Thickest hickory I cut through was about 3" thick. It has saved me a ton of time roughing out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:12:36 pm by Allyn T »

Offline Fox

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2021, 07:04:55 pm »
Okay I'm too long string now... its 40# at this like 10" or so.... it feels way too heavy to brace still, but im not sure... its got some random spots with little bits of reflex and deflex making it hard to judge tiller...

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2021, 08:29:45 am »
Looking really good Fox!! my tillering eye is really out of practice but i think there might be a hinge starting in the left middle??

I reserve the right to be wrong!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2021, 12:33:29 pm »
Got to agree with Deerhunter21 about the left limb. It looks like there is a dip mid limb, could be the camera, though.  Leave that area alone for a while.  I would shorten up the long string to about a 3"-4" gap at most.  Tighter if it is 550 paracord, that stuff stretches!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2021, 01:09:18 pm »
Unfortunately my stave had some growth ring delaminations so ive had to trim the stave down to 52”. Looks like ill be making another bl shorty. Ill heat treat this one