Author Topic: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge  (Read 32745 times)

Black Moshannon

Re: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2021, 09:59:11 pm »
Somehow my previous post got deleted so I'll try again lol. Here is the elm bow with the black locust tip overlays on. Second photo is the side profile. Ill be sanding the back and applying some black walnut dye to it just to get that out of the way.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2021, 10:29:44 pm »
What are the dimensions on that?
In the woods I find my peace

Black Moshannon

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2021, 10:32:22 pm »
What are the dimensions on that?

It is 64” Long by 1 1/4 wide by 3/4 thick. It will be a bend through handle D bow, very simple. Looking to get 55# at 27” from it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2021, 01:37:15 am »
I noticed that 31 January did not have any posts!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2021, 01:55:15 am »
I noticed that 31 January did not have any posts!
Hawkdancer

i thought that was just me  :o
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:54 am »
Kenneth is that pretty similar to the last one you made?

Offline Fox

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2021, 12:12:20 pm »
Looking really good Fox!! my tillering eye is really out of practice but i think there might be a hinge starting in the left middle??

I reserve the right to be wrong!

Okay getting back to the bow today... thanks deerhunter, I’ll work on that hinge you spotted  ;D

Sorry to hear about your delimitation eastcreek...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Black Moshannon

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2021, 06:40:22 pm »
Kenneth is that pretty similar to the last one you made?

Yes its exactly the same I have no desire to stray from my favorite design lol

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2021, 11:22:21 pm »
I got my front profile done except for the tips I left wide so I could line then up later, same with the handle. I also got my starting thickness evened out at 5/8 thick

Black Moshannon

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2021, 04:08:33 pm »
Looks good Allyn. Do you try to line your tips up exactly? I am starting to be grateful for the sideways warp in my my limbs and the crooked tips because I use the string laying off to one side for the more centershot advantage. I'm sure theres some added mass and wasted energy though

Black Moshannon

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2021, 04:12:57 pm »
Elm bow update. The back has been sanded smooth, walnut stain applied, whole bow dried in drier to dry any moisture from stain and then a small amount of tru-oil added to back. Today I floor tillered and got the long string on and the bow bent to straight on the tillering stick. It had about three inches of reflex to start so getting it to straight was quite an effort. The lesser bending limb on the left is the bottom limb and has more reflex. It is also thinner at this point than the top limb. I want to make sure I don't overcorrect for the reflex and remove too much wood from it.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2021, 04:48:56 pm »
Looks good Allyn. Do you try to line your tips up exactly? I am starting to be grateful for the sideways warp in my my limbs and the crooked tips because I use the string laying off to one side for the more centershot advantage. I'm sure theres some added mass and wasted energy though

My first bow the string ran more to one side and I didnt like the way it felt drawing it back but I didn't leave myself any room to correct it. So on this bow I'm making sure I can shape the tips and the handle so everything lines up square.  Man I wouldn't even want to attempt a bow with that much reflex yet lol.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2021, 05:20:11 pm »
My last post here got cancelled during the server change, so I'll sum it up here. I've got a few small chrysals just after the fades, what can I do to prevent any more damage? I've already taken off 15 strokes or so with the scraper from the undamaged parts of the limbs, lowering a bit the poundage. The bow is still too heavy and far from optimally tillered.
ps: added a pic, just to let you see how small the chrysals are.
IMG_20210131_184659929 by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:06:38 pm by Zugul »

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2021, 05:32:05 pm »
I'd offer advice but I feel like that is the blind leading the blind so I'll refrain :)

Black Moshannon

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2021, 06:10:59 pm »

My first bow the string ran more to one side and I didnt like the way it felt drawing it back but I didn't leave myself any room to correct it. So on this bow I'm making sure I can shape the tips and the handle so everything lines up square.  Man I wouldn't even want to attempt a bow with that much reflex yet lol.

I get that. It’s probably easier to make the arrow pass more center shot with a rigid narrow handle bow. Since my handle area/arrow pass is usually a minimum of 1 1/4 to 1 1/8 wide it’s an issue for me. I like the string laying off one side.