Author Topic: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge  (Read 32759 times)

Offline Fox

Re: 2021 1st Newbie build along challenge
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2021, 01:06:03 am »
Russel, I’d think that might be a bit of a beast to string if you added another 3 inches to the other limb... maybe just take some reflex out and level them up ...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2021, 09:56:06 am »
It is nice having a bunch of others sharing their journey, it feels like the pressure you put on yourself is lessened seeing what others go through at the same time.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2021, 05:52:06 pm »
It is nice having a bunch of others sharing their journey, it feels like the pressure you put on yourself is lessened seeing what others go through at the same time.

I think your right. The times I haven’t felt a ton of pressure to make a bow have been when I’m doing a group build together or I’m building with others.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2021, 10:19:45 am »
Narrowed my tips and cut in new temp nocks. Got my bow to 50@ 24 on the long string so I braced it about 3 inch, looks even. Also narrowed my handle and set my handle depth to 1.5" now today I'll just keep tillering

Black Moshannon

« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2021, 11:31:58 am »
Sweet looking bow Whistling Badger. I'm back with the hickory. Ill be monitoring moisture content although its a dense piece and Ive never had to worry with hickory. That elm was not dense and felt very spongy. Some wood is like that ive noticed. Anyway, here is the new stave. I cut it and put it on form to dry about four months ago maybe. That induced 2 inches of reflex to it. Got it off form, roughly cut narrower tips and took off bark layer. 1 1/2 inch wide by 3/4 thick by 64" long, bend through handle. Width will be reduced today or tomorrow.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2021, 11:50:29 am »
Let me see the growth rings, I feel like mine isn't the best ratio and I'm wondering what yours looks like

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2021, 02:33:20 pm »
Kenneth, are you going for an ELB style profile with that?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2021, 02:54:39 pm »
on hickory your growth rings shouldn't really matter.. at least here in Ga. they are real close and we have a good growing season... chasing a hickory ring is not for the faint at heart.I wouldnt even attempt it.. just remove bark clean off cambium .. you can leave some in dippy areas no biggie and there is your back.. gut

Offline Zugul

« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2021, 03:31:02 pm »
In this days I could not work on my BL bow, but I continued thinking about it. It has some bumps and dips along the limbs, so I can't use the tillering gizmo in the normal way... Would it be effective to show which areas are bending more if I just lay it on a particular spot of the limb, start drawing the bow and watch how the gap between the gizmo and the limb changes? just to get a general idea of where I need to scrap more.

Offline Fox

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2021, 04:25:56 pm »
I’m not sure exactly zugul... for that kind of thing I use the edge of my scraper to judge for that kind of thing... but with a wiggly limb I usually just have to eyeball it...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2021, 04:31:44 pm »
yes you can do that to see how much a specific part of the limb is bending, but really you should probably eyeball it like fox said.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2021, 06:16:49 pm »
It sometimes helps to draw a straight line on the side of the bow in a wiggly spot to judge bend better.  I did this several times with WWIII.

gutpile

« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2021, 07:20:02 pm »
Well i got some bad news got excited and hit my erc pile .. bugs have ruined most of my prestige stave but not all is lost ..they only hit right where I cannot avoid either a splice or flatten ..  i wanted to boo back one anyway so im going to use that stave for the boo backed bow .. wanted heartwood on boo back too ... my other stave which wasn’t as clean will be my first spliced stave for my static sinew backed recurve .. gonna remove the bark see what i got make a plan then match the billets and bring them inside  .. lots more work than i was anticipating.. kinda looking forward to doing a splice which i have never done before i can ad my reflex in splice or deflex not sure Yet how i will proceed .. looks like i will finish this shorty osage then attack the erc .. either way im looking forward to the challenge .. gut

Offline Zugul

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2021, 07:57:13 pm »
Fox:
 yeah I think any flat surface should help to see how a spot is bending.

Tradcraftsman:
This could work too, I'm going to try it!

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2021, 08:23:28 pm »
Gut I'm excited to see your erc attempts