Author Topic: Tiller  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Tiller
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:30 pm »
16" not to draw weight yet still looking to even it out, tell me what you see please.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:30:18 am by Allyn T »
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tiller
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:47:25 pm »
Left limb looks good. Right limb looks stiff on the inner half then almost a hinge then the bend looks good.
 Is this on a long string or braced?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:50 am »
What width profile does it have? Can't really comment until I know that.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:13:03 am »
Nobody should comment, on any bow, until we see pictures of their unbraced side and front profiles, imo. Maybe the limb on the right kind of started out like that. We currently have no way of knowing.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:29:44 am »
It is pyramid, straight taper to 1/4" tips. Unbraced is dead flat both limbs. Long string hanging down about an inch under handle.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:09:09 am »
I'm no expert but I would put an x on this spot and don't touch it for a while.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 07:14:56 am »
Look up the tillering gizmo some use on here. With a dead strait limb bow, the gizmo would make it so easy to tiller. Or use any strait edge 5 or 6 in long and run it on the belly of the bow. Start at the tip to the fades. Pay attention to the gap in between the middle of the strait edge and the belly as you move it along you can see as the gap gets bigger and smaller. The smaller gaps are where you have to remove more.  Hope this makes sence and helps

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:58 am »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 07:18:02 am »
I'd probably put it on a low brace, the short string  will highlight any issues really quickly. +1 on the straight edge

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 07:22:30 am »
Make  sure you place it on the tiller and place the hook  where you actually will hold it while shooting.  Unless you intend to shoot like Ishi did.

Offline Beba

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 07:45:43 am »
+1 on the gizmo. I made 2. 1, 6” long and 1, 4” long for smaller areas I’m questioning on dead flat limbs like yours.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 09:16:49 am »
I agree with Pat about how it's held and drawn, which is another reason I don't comment on most tiller threads, at least not in regard to limb strengths.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 11:03:27 am »
Getting to low brace, like stuckinthemud said will tell you a lot about your tiller and your string alignment.
No matter what the back profile is, a hinge is a hinge!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 11:15:14 am »
It is pyramid, straight taper to 1/4" tips. Unbraced is dead flat both limbs. Long string hanging down about an inch under handle.

Since it's a pyramid your limbs should be pretty close to constant thickness. Can you run your fingers down them and feel any thin spots? I agree with the others that you should be very careful around that right limb, I see a hinge in progress as well. For a pyramid the tillering gizmo will work great for fine tuning the bend.

Mark

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 11:56:17 am »
Agreed Pat B I don't want any hinges. Will a tillering gizmo help me develope a better eye for tiller, the main reason I haven't made one is I don't want to stunt my growth.